- 1900 to 1911
July 5, 1900
Tug ALEXANDER BARKLEY, which sank off Pier 4, East River, last week, was
raised and taken to Gokey’s docks. All
her joiner work is gone and her engine and boiler look as if they were
Tug EMPIRE, owned by Capt. W. B. and J. H. Barnett, is still awaiting
her new engine from M. J. Russell.
Tug SAMMIE is on the drydock being rebuilt.
The new tug M. HENDERER, built at LeRoux’s shipyard in Albany, is
finished and is running in the harbor. She is a staunch and handsome craft.
The Cornell tug JOHN H. CORDTS had new boilers installed this season and
now carries a single smokestack. It is a huge affair.
Berwind-White Coal Mining Co’s GEO. W. WRIGHT..
Empire & New England Co’s tug RESOLUTE..
Barrett’s tug WENDELL GOODWIN..
Capt. Michael Coleman is part owner of the tug E. A. PACKER..
July 12, 1900
The engine of the JOHN NIELSON went into the steamer WILLIAM COOK, which
was broken up at South Rondout
about 10 years ago.
The steamer CRICKET’s engine fell to pieces with the hull of that
vessel, known at the time as RIVER BELLE, on the
flats of Hoboken, last year. In about 1850 the CRICKET ran to Stamford.
July 19, 1900
Harry Cossey has started a small tug for the Hilton-Dodge Lumber Co.,
of South Brooklyn.
New tugs GOLDEN RULE, JOHN A. BOUKER, and S. L’HOMMEDIEU “make
an excellent addition to the White Star Towing Line fleet.”
Capt. Dick Barrett has purchased the EXCELSIOR.
July 26, 1900
Tugs JOHN K. COWEN [and another building] built by R. M. Spedden Co. for
the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad for New York Harbor service.
Lewis Luckenbach sold his fine ocean tug L. LUCKENBACH to the Spreckles
Tugboat Co. of San Francisco.
Luckenbach’s OCEAN KING..
Dalzell’s C. P. RAYMOND..
New tug SACHEM, launched at Columbia iron Works and intended for Hartford
and New York Transportation Co., will be ready in August.
Newtown Creek Towing Co. has disposed of their tug ROYAL to parties at
Scully’s new tug COASTWISE..
M. Moran’s DE WITT C. IVINS..
August 2, 1900
The tug EVONA, which was bought in New York last spring for service at
Catskill, has again changed hands. This time
she has become the property of Hitchock and Miller, of Albany, who will
use her in towing mud scows on the upper
Tug E. L. LEVY is at Rondout for a new stack.
Tug FRED E. RICHARDS was built by Neafie & Levy for Rockland and Rockport
Murray & Dutch’s JAS. A. LAWRENCE..
Robert Rogers’ tug EMPEROR..
GRACE S. RAMSAY has been purchased by the Bremen Line for service at their
Tug WM. H. JENKS has been purchased by parties at Manzanilla, Cuba.
The Lehigh Valley Railroad’s FRED B. DALZELL has had her name changed
August 9, 1900
Tug WALTER W. BETTS, now owned by Capt. Frank Stinson, is back from Woods
Hole. She was formerly an up-river boat.
Tug PONTIAC, of Murray’s Troy Line, was aground up the Hudson last
Capt. G. N. Milliken has shore leave from his tug VOLUNTEER.
Tug GENESEE and MAHANOY are being completed at Burlee Drydock Co. for
New York Harbor use by the Lehigh Valley Railroad Co.
Capt. John Smith’s C. J. SAXE..
Large tug C. W. MORSE has been laid up for some time at the foot of West
Capt. James McWilliams’ L. LUCKENBACH and PETROLIA..
DOLPHIN has been purchased by Red Star Towing & Wrecking Co., of Boston,
and left Saturday for Boston.
Henry DuBois Son’s Co. is offering for sale the fine harbor tug
Tug C. C. WAITE is a stakeboat for Packard Dredging Co.
August 16, 1900
Tug BALTIC of the Van Wie fleet [CRR of NJ?]
Pennsylvania Railroad Co’s HARRISBURG and WILMINGTON..
August 23, 1900
Moran’s WM. J. SEWELL….
EXPRESS has been purchased by Dubois Lennox, of Jersey City.
Dailey’s THREE BROTHERS…
Peter Cahill’s O. L. HALENBECK…
Luckenbach’s WALTER A. LUCKENBACH…
Tracy Brothers fleet includes tug SUCCESS…
Lehigh Valley RR’s NANNIE LAMBERTON…
Tug E. L. LEVY is kept busy at Glen Island shifting scows.
Tug HARVEY W. TEMPLE, owned by the McGirr’s Sons’ Co., is
receiving a new deck and pilot house at the foot of West 17th Street.
August 30, 1900
Tug MILDRED was formerly the J. J. AUSTIN, JR. [Incorrect. Was the E.
Rebuilding of the tug SAMMIE is well underway and she will be ready for
business early in October.
Tug EMPIRE, Capt. William Barnett, has received a new 17 x 20” Russell
engine after a long wait.
September 6, 1900
Moran’s ALBERT H. ELLIS…
Brooklyn Navy Yard tug NARKEETA…
Central RR of NJ’s tug SOMERVILLE…
Erie tug CHAMPION…
September 13, 1900
E. A. PACKER has been purchased by S. Zeigler.
North German Lloyd is negotiating for the purchase of J. L. LUCKENBACH.
Boyer’s Sons’ FORTUNA…
September 20, 1900
J. L. LUCKENBACH has been purchased by North German Lloyd.
American Towing & Lighterage, of Baltimore, has sold tug BRUCE to
James Hughes, of New Brunswick.
The new Marvel-built tug J. G. ROSE, built for the Cornell Towing Co.,
of Rondout, is at work in the harbor.
Tug ALEXANDER BARKLEY still lays in a dismantled condition at Gokey’s
September 27, 1900
Jeddie Van Wie’s [Central RR of NJ] new tug, building at Noank,
is to be named DAVID B. DEARBORN.
October 4, 1900
Newtown Creek Towing’s new tug ROYAL will be ready shortly. Their
tug ATLAS is being rebuilt.
McWilliams’ tugs BATTLER, E. LUCKENBACH, W. E. GLADWISH, and ZOUAVE.
R. C. VEIT now carries Scully’s markings.
October 11, 1900
McCaldin’s fleet:: JAMES A. GARFIELD, McCALDIN BROTHERS, and WM.
MAGGIE S. ROBINSON has been purchased by Wm. T. Cox of Elizabethport.
Cox also owns ERIE.
NEPTUNE is now HENRY STEERS, JR., of Henry Steers, Jr.
Packard Dredging Co’s BEE…
Dalzell fleet includes C. P. RAYMOND, E. S. ATWOOD, EDWARD T. DALZELL,
H. B. MOORE, JR., J. FRED LOHMAN, KATIE D. and W. FREELAND DALZELL.
Tug SAMMIE has completed her rebuilding at Red Hook. Capt. Patrick Kelly,
her owner, will have her name changed to CRESCENT.
October 18, 1900
Luckenbach’s EDGAR F. LUCKENBACH and EDWARD LUCKENBACH.
JOHN FLEMING was built by Peter L. Colon.
October 25, 1900
New tug LACKAWANNA was built by John Dialogue for the Delaware, Lackawanna
& Western Railroad. 150’ o.a.l., 800 hp. Lackawanna colors:
White with yellow funnels. Will be used the same as SCRANTON – towing
New York and Boston.
Stevens & Condit Transportation Company’s tug NEWARK…
Edward Begley has started in business on his own between New York and
Newark with tug OLIN J. STEPHENS.
November 1, 1900
Capt. J. Jones has returned from Cape Porpoise, Maine, where he left the
tug DE VEAUX POWEL. She is working there for Morris & Cummings.
December 13, 1900
Tug WALTER W. BETTS is commanded by her owner, Frank Stinson.
January 3, 1901
Now building by Wm. H. Baldwin, New Baltimore, wooden tug WM. H. BALDWIN,
80 tons, 60 x 17 x 7’, for Robinson, Lodge & Smith, of Watervliet.
January 10, 1901
The freight propeller RANCOCAS was frozen in at Coeyman’s on the
Hudson on thursday.
January 17, 1901
A new towing company: Export Towing Co., of Greenpoint, Henry Morgan,
manager, with tug BRILLIANT.
The Ronan tug ARTHUR caught under the wharf at Pier 5, East River, on
Friday morning, 1/11, and filled and sank before her predicament was discovered.
January 24, 1901
GRACE is now owned by the Pendleton Brothers.
Capt. Ed Millard’s ADELAIDE..
January 31, 1901
David Bell Co., of Buffalo, will build an iron tug, 75 x 17 x 9 feet,
engine 12-3/4, 32 x 24”, and will be used by Harry Dunbar at Albany.
FRANK RICHARDS, now owned by the U. S. Army, is carrying water to Ellis
Gokey’s tug WILLIE broke through 5” of ice recently.
D. P. McKillop has had the tug W. H. SCOTT renamed HARAS.
Tug SWEEPSTAKES, repairing at New York, is owned by the Boutelle Transportation
Co. of Cleveland.
Tug CUBA, 165’ overall, 14’6” draft, an entgine 17,
25, 43 x 30” engine, 900 ihp, is building for the Staples Coal Co.
to run between the North Atlantic Coast and the West Indies.
HARLEM RIVER NO. 3 is nearly ready for J. H. McConnell’s Harlem
River Towing Line. They now have tugs CORNELIUS VAN COTT, HARLEM RIVER.
HARLEM RIVER NO. 1, HARLEM RIVER NO. 2, HARLEM RIVER NO. 3, and N. J.
Boston Note: Central Railroad of New Jersey’s HONEYBROOK and NOTTINGHAM..
February 14, 1901
Tug KATE JONES was bought from Boston Towboat Co. for $25,000 for the
U. S. Navy to use in the Spanish-American War as SEMINOLE.
Tug BRISTOL was purchased from Samuel Pregnall for $6,500 for use by the
Navy as CHEYENNE during the Spanish-American War. She was recently bought
from the Navy for $1,690 by Kuper Bros.
Ambrose Jayne’s tug HENRY HOEHN will come out under the name GILBERT
Tug WILLIE is working for the West Shore Railroad Co.
Red Star Towing Line’s FLUSHING..
Tug ALEXANDER BARKLEY is at Peter Colon’s yard at Jersey City, being
February 28, 1901
Pennsylvania Railroad’s PALMYRA..
March 7, 1991
Capt. Alexander’s tug JAMES ROY..
C. S. Downs’ tugs JAMES G. STEVENS and R. S. CARTER..
Brainard’s fleet: CHARM, N. B. STARBUCK, PRESIDENT, and WALLACE
Capt. Al Eneas’ tug R. W. BURKE..
Kuper Bros. has renamed their tug BRISTOL as JACOB KUPER.
Thames Towboat’s AMERICA..
O’Brien Brother are building tug O’BRIEN BROTHERS..
Coxsackie propeller steamer THOMAS McMANUS has been put in apple-pie order.
Breyman’s tug MINOT WILCOX is working at Boston.
March 14, 1901
White Star Towing Line’s EDNA V. CREW..
E. M. Millard’s ADELAIDE..
John Cunningham has purchased the Albany tug HEATH [JACOB M. HEATH or
HENRY R. HEATH ?] and will employ her towing lumber rafts.
Capt. M. Pratt, of Albany, who owned the tug FRANK RICHARD last year,
has purchased the tug [WM. H. BALDWIN] built by Wm. H. Baldwin for Charles
Lodge and others.
March 21, 1901
McCreery’s tug SADIE E. ELLIS..
Empire & New England Transportation Co’s RESOLUTE and THOMAS
Capt Leonard J. Kipp has sold the tug ANNA J. KIPP to a Mr. Dupler of
F. J. Bauer’s tug BRILLIANT.. [same tug as “Export Line”’s
The steam lighter RANCOCAS, belonging to J. B. King Plaster Co., of Staten
Island, arrived at Albany last week from Van Wies Point on the Hudson,
where she was frozen in all winter.
March 28, 1901
Red Star, of Boston, tugs BOXER, GLADIATOR, and TEASER..
Staples Coal Co’s NEMASKET..
Tug ALMA is libelled at New Haven.
Charities and Corrections’ tug RESCUE..
Capt. Ed Begley bought the tug WM. C. NICOL.
Phoenix Towing & Transportation Co’s (Ciancimo’s Line)
HENRY H. STANWOOD..
Tug GERMANIA carries the colors of Old Dominion Steamship Co.
New York Harbor Towboat Co’s EDNA..
Bird Rickard’s MILDRED is a frequenter of South Cove.
Newtown Creek Towing Co’s DICTATOR..
Robert Roger’s EMPEROR, MARIA HOFFMAN, and MUNICIPAL..
Capt. Richard Peterson’s ANNIE M. BAUER was swamped and sunk off
Owl’s Head on Friday afternoon.
April 11, 1901
New York Harbor Towboat Co’s E. M. MILLARD and HAZEL KIRK..
Tug ANNA J. KIPP is to be sold at auction next Friday.
April 18, 1901
Rebuilt tug GILBERT M. EDGETT is held by the U. S. Marshal.
Jacob Reichert now owns tug JOHN ANSON. Small harbor tug JOHN ANSON has
lately been purchased by the owner of the tug MISCHIEF for $1200. He claims
he has made the purchase price of both boats within the past year.
Tug ANNA J. KIPP, sold by Capt. Kipp originally for $3000, was auctioned
off last Friday for $750.
April 25, 1901
Saville’s fleet includes tug WILLIAM N. BEACH..
Capt. Day’s SENATOR D. C. CHASE..
Capt. McGuirl [Shamrock Towing Line] has added NEW YORK CENTRAL NO. 1
and will probably rename her ERIN.
May 2, 1901
Albany tug ARTHUR carries a Marshal’s notice on her deckhouse, at
The Arthur Kill Towing Line, managed by Richard Pearsall, does towing
at Amboy. They employ ARCHIBALD WATT and EDITH.
Capt. Peter Quillen has bought MAMIE, of Norfolk, and will use her for
towing in New York.
McCarren Bros.’ tug WILLIAM B. SNOW, originally GEORGE L. HAMMOND
which had the engine from the old harbor tug GOV. BOGGS, has been renamed
MICHAEL T. BARRETT.
May 9, 1901
White Star Towing Line tugs CERES, CHARLES RUNYON, EDNA V. CREW, GUIDING
STAR, H. B. RAWSON, JOHN A. BOUKER, and S. L’HOMMEDIEU..
Robert Rogers wants to dispose of the hull of tug F. W. DEVOE.
May 16, 1901
COL. JOHN F. GAYNOR is towing for Hughes Bros. & Bangs.
Tug P. C. RONAN is working at ice towing for the American Ice Co.
E. LUCKENBACH is the latest addition to McWilliams’ fleet.
McWilliams tugs BELLE McWILLIAMS, PETROLIA, UNCLE ABE and ZOUAVE..
Tug S. R. ST. JOHN lies submerged at the Lehigh Coal docks.
G. N. Milliken’s tug ZOUAVE..
ANNA J. KIPP was sold by Capt. Zeb Doty to William Chappel, who, in turn,
traded her for Capt. John H. Smith’s C. J. SAXE..
Tugs G. W. DECKER and J. G. ROSE make a strong team in the ice towing
May 23, 1901
McKillop’s tugs HARAS and REGINA..
Pennsylvania Railroad’s tug JUNIATA..
Philip J. Staats, of this city, has purchased the tug POST BOY from George
M. Swan of Buffalo. POST BOY will engage in government work at Albany.
May 30, 1901
Wm. R. Osborn’s tug FROLIC. Mr. Osborn hails from Croton.
June 6, 1901
Phoenix Towing Line’s CHARLES R. STONE..
Tug FRANK W. MUNN, sold by Frank W. Munn, of Philadelphia, has been purchased
by Capt. George Hill, late owner of the KATHERINE FRANCISCA, and will
be worked with Peter Cahill’s tugs. She was built in 1889 at Philadelphia.
June 13, 1901
KATHERINE FRANCISCA has been sold to go to Cuba. [still listed in MV-1906]
Trinidad Shipping & Trading Co. is negotiating for the purchase of
DE WITT C. IVINS.
Tug M. HENDERER is owned by Myers and Horace Henderer.
Tugs H. D. MOULD, JOHN T. WELCH, and M. HENDERER sail for the Gilt Edge
Rapid Transit Towing Line, foot of Jackson Street. [American Ice Co.]
Scully recently bought CHARLES B. SANFORD, and owns the NAVIGATOR.
North German Lloyd owns GRACE S. RAMSAY and J. L. LUCKENBACH.
Vierow Towing Line, V. E. Downer, manager, has the tugs BRANDON, CORNELL,
GRISWOLD, JASON, PETERS, QUICKSTEP, and others.
E. S. Belden’s tug HUNT is in the Sound trade.
June 27, 1901
Baxter & Kiernan’s ANDREW J. WHITE..
July 4, 1901
Tug C. W. MORSE and barge ATLAS left New Orleans on the 27th ult. for
Newport News, having completed their charter in the fruit trade between
New Orleans and Costa Rica.
July 11, 1901
Morse’s large tug KNICKERBOCKER was a Tietjen & Lang’s
drydock during the week overhauling. Their tug C. W. MORSE, which was
towing the barge ATLAS between New Orleans and Honduras during the past
five months, is laid up at the foot of West 46th Street. It is understood
that she is for sale.
July 18, 1901
Tug WALLACE B. FLINT was towing for the New York, New Haven and Hartford
Railroad last week in place of the ELI B. CONINE. The latter broke her
wheel and was out on Gokey’s drydock for a new Sullivan wheel. She
also received a new plank on her port side. Capt. Eli complains of the
injustice of the Board of Health in compelling him to stop using soft
coal, while the hundred and one factories in the neighborhood of Harlem
are allowed to use it. He don’t believe in “hush” money
amd as a consequence his coal bills will be about twice the amount they
would be if he were allowed to use soft coal. We hope he will make up
the difference by good business, as honest American principles which are
opposed to bribery should be encouraged.
August 1, 1901
Capt. S. M. Bacon, formerly of the White Star Towing Co., is now in charge
of tug HARVEY W. TEMPLE.
August 19, 1901
Boston Note: Lockwood had out the Breymann tug B. T. HAVILAND for a few
September 5, 1901
Morse’s tug C. W. MORSE sailed from here on Saturday of last week
for Dry Tortugas with a large dredge and two scows.
Tug C. W. STANDART, of the Kuper Line fleet, is towing around the Atlantic
Transport Line piers.
September 12, 1901
The West Side Towing Line’s tugs have about all they can attend
to and are kept hustling. The tug EMPIRE, which formerly belonged to the
line, was sold last year to the Cornell Towboat Company, and the remaining
five boats are kept busy to take care of the orders which come in.
September 19, 1901
The tug C. W. MORSE arrived back from Dry Tortugas on Monday.
October 3, 1901
The new tug SHAUN RHUE has been completed by Bell’s Iron Works,
of Buffalo, and has gone to Albany where she will tow mud scows for Harry
Dunbar, her owner, who has a government contract for dredging on the upper
October 31, 1901
The new steel tugboat W. N. BAVIER, belonging to the Cornell Line, is
now at work on the Hudson River, and is pronounced one of the handsomest
vessels of her kind built in recent years. The hull was constructed at
the shipyard of Burlee Dry Dock Co., Port Richmond, and the machinery
was installed at the towboat company’s shops in Rondout. She is
used in towing between Rondout and New York.
December 5, 1901
Steamboat DEAN RICHMOND was driven ashore at Coxsackie on Thursday by
ice. She was refloated in four hours.
December 12, 1901
Upper Hudson Notes: Dec. 10, 1901:
Navigation is about closed here. The season has not been very good one
for the towboatmen, fire having destroyed the tugs JAMES A. MORRIS, PETER
McCABE [P. McCABE, JR.] and PAUL LE ROUX [?]. The MORRIS is being rebuilt
by Paul Le Roux. The McCABE will be rebuilt this winter, while the LE
ROUX is a total loss.
January 2, 1902
Advertisement: FOR SALE—The fine tugboat M. B. HARLOW. Length 69
feet, beam 17.5 feet, depth of hold 7 feet. Boiler 12 x 7 feet, built
in 1897, 125 lbs. pressure allowed. Engine 18 x 18”, keel condenser,
with tanks, etc. Frames of oak of extra good quality and construction.
Has a fine model and is a fast strong boat. In excellent order, having
been well-kept while in use, and has been recently been thoroughly gone
over. Can be seen in Norfolk. Reason for selling: have no further use
for a tugboat of this size. John L. Roper Lumber Co., Norfolk, Va. [advertisement
appeared until the February 3rd issue]
January 16, 1902
Charles W. Morse has bought the Penobscot River tugboat fleet owned by
Capt. Walter Ross of Bangor for $40,000. The fleet consists of BISMARCK,
DELTA, RALPH ROSS, and WALTER ROSS.
January 23, 1902
Hudson Tow Boat owns C. D. MENEELY.
February 13, 1902
The towboat A. B. VALENTINE is being broken up at Perth Amboy.
February 20, 1902
Tugs H. D. MOULD, JOHN T. WELCH, M. HENDERER, and P. C. RONAN form the
ice towing fleet at the foot of Jackson Street.
Sale of tugboat fleet—The Ross & Howell fleet of tugboats was
sold on February 5th, when the bill of sale was filed in the Bangor, Me..
customs house. The four tugs were purchased as follows: BISMARCK, $18,000;
DELTA, $1,000; RALPH ROSS, $15,000; and WALTER ROSS, $1,000.
March 6, 1902
The Norfolk tug M. B. HARLOW arrived here last week.
March 20, 1902
On the way down from Albany, tug PONTIAC and barge of Murray Line piled
up on the Dows Point dike, and were pulled off by the GEORGE D. COOLEY.
Capt. Ulster Davis, of Albany, has a large fleet of first-class tugs this
season. They include CHAS. J. RENO, EUGENIA, GEO. C. VAN TUYL, JR., P.
McCABE, JR., PAUL LE ROUX, and THOMAS CHUBB. These boats confine their
towing to the harbors at Albany and Troy and the upper Hudson.
Tugs GEORGE D. COOLEY, JAS. A. MORRIS, and PRESTON E. ANDREWS have been
placed in commission in Albany harbor.
Tug O. A. CRANDEL has been entirely rebuilt at LeRoux’s Shipyard
at Albany. She will be renamed DANA B. WATKINS. The tug PAUL LE ROUX is
also undergoing a rebuild.
April 10, 1902
The ferryboat MAID OF PERTH, running between the Albany lumber district
and Bath, was run into and sunk by the tug CHAS. J. RENO last week.
April 24, 1902
Tug D. F. SKINNER, of Albany, is towing around the harbor.
June 12, 1902
The large tug POCAHONTAS, of the Beverwyck Line, has been painted up and
is looking well.
The Murray Barge Line to Troy are keeping their tug PONTIAC hustling.
The DeVEAUX POWEL is working at Portland, where she has been for some
two years past.
The tugs CHARLES F. HARRIS and JAMES D. LEARY are towing ice barges on
Jefferson McCausland is building a good tug [SENATOR RICE] for Senator
Jacob Rice and Thomas Quigley.
June 26, 1902
The Albany tug CHAS. J. RENO, Capt. Ulster Davis, brought a canal boat
laden with lumber from Albany to New York in express boat time. The time
was 20 hours with the EUGENE RUSS laden with 175,000 feet of lumber towed
All of the up-river tugs have joined interests and are now managed by
Capt. Ulster Davis. The following is a list of the Albany fleet which
forms the “trust” as it might be called: CHAS. J. RENO, DANA
B. WOTKYNS, EUGENIA, GEO. C. VAN TUYL, JR., GEO. D. COOLEY, J. ARNOLD,
JAS. A. MORRIS, JAMES H. SCOTT, P. McCABE, JR., PAUL LE ROUX, PRESTON
E. ANDREWS, THOMAS CHUBB, THOMAS MILLER, JR., and WM. ORR.
July 3, 1902
..of the up-river tug PROTECTOR..
July 31, 1902
Albany tug D. F. SKINNER has been painted up and now hails from New York.
She is employed around the “lumber dump” at the foot of 20th
August 7, 1902
Tug WM. STREET collided with tug WM. H. WICKHAM last week with considerable
damage to the latter.
August 14, 1902
Tug JAS. D. LEARY arrived from Albany on Monday with half-a-dozen deeply-laden
August 28, 1902
Frank J. McArdle is on the street working up business for Charles Harris’
new Albany towing line. The new line sends out regular tows each week
on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. The fleet engaged in ice and Albany
towing on the Hudson consists of BRANDON, CHARLES F. HARRIS, FLORENCE,
JAMES D. LEARY, and JASON. The FLORENCE is employed at the upper end of
September 11, 1902
The Empire Brick Co. has absorbed a number of important Hudson River brickyards
and will operate its own fleet of tugs and barges next season.
September 18. 1902
Tugs GREENVILLE and SUCCESS are towing mud scows on the upper Hudson.
September 25, 1902
Tug CONEY ISLAND is employed towing mud on the upper Hudson by the Charles
Harris Line. The R. B. LITTLE is towing at this end on the same line.
October 30, 1902
The tugs C. W. MORSE, ICE KING, and TRITON, formerly owned by C. W. Morse
& Co., have been sold to the Hudson River Ice Co.
November 6, 1902
It is reported that the tugs CHARLES F. HARRIS and JAMES D. LEARY will
be employed by the Reading Coal Co.
November 20, 1902
Tug KOMUK, which was sold to Key West parties here recently, cleared from
here on Saturday for that port.
December 4, 1902
Tug VIRGINIA EHRMANN, of Albany, has been working around the harbor for
her owners, Messrs. Kirk, Driscoll & Co. of Albany. The tugs JAMES
KENNEDY and MARY, also owned by them, are coming down to work on their
contract of deepening the channel at Patchogue. They will work there for
about three weeks after which MARY will go to the Chesapeake where the
firm has a large contract for dredging, and the JAMES KENNEDY with dredge
will deepen the approach at Keyport. This firm has several large contracts
on the Hudson. They employ the tug ROYS J. CRAM, owned by Capt. Charles
Hovey who bought the Lake-built boat at Saginaw two years ago.
December 25, 1902
The neat Albany tug C. W. WOODWARD, Capt. J. P. Fagan, was at Pier 3,
East River, on Saturday after a long trip from Albany with J. P. Randerson’s
dredge ALBANY and five scows, bound for Greenwich, Conn. WOODWARD is a
new boat built at New Baltimore by Wm. H. Baldwin, and engined by her
owners, Skinner and Arnold. She is 70 x 16 x 7’ with an 14-1/2 x
18” engine and a 6’ wheel. The Albany tug CHAS. J. RENO assisted
the WOODWARD with her tow.
January 1, 1903
Building: tug DAVID B. DEARBORN, wooden tug, by Robert Palmer & Son
of Noank, Ct., 135 tons, 99 x 22 x 11, with a 20 x 26” engine by
John W. Sullivan, and a boiler 8-1/2 x 16, for J. H. Van Wie, Manager,
[Central RR of NJ ?] 2-3 South Street, NY.
C. W. WOODWARD built for Skinner & Arnold of Albany.
JOHN GLEN, 40 tons, built at Athens for use on the Hudson River.
Boston notes: Harbor tug P. O’REARDON tows lighters from Quincy
January 8, 1903
Tug PRIMROSE was built by Wm. D. Ford for an unknown owner.
ROB, “built by Cornell” at Sleightsburg for Cornell.
The new tug SENATOR RICE, of Kingston, is at Court Street being finished
Boston notes: DE VEAUX POWEL, with two other tugs, is towing two dredges
and five scows from Boston to Savannah for Morris & Cummings.
Boston: Suffolk Towing Company’s tug WM. E. CLEARY..
January 22, 1903
Capt. G. N. Milliken’s tug VOLUNTEER is busy in the Sound trade.
Tug PRIMROSE, with an engine 15-1/2 x 20” by Skinner & Arnold,
built by W. D. Ford, of Athens, for R. J. Foster, is towing in the ice
trade around the East River.
The Murray Line tug PONTIAC, which sank at Lagoon Island in the upper
Hudson on December 8, was raised by A. A. Parker, of Waterford, last week.
The upper works are gone, but the machinery and hull are intact. The tug
will be rebuilt.
January 29, 1903
Tug H. H. NEWKIRK is overhauling.
February 5, 1903
Tugs CHAS. F. HARRIS, JAS. D. LEARY, and VIRGINIA EHRMAN are wintering
at Sullivan’s Basin.
Tug WILLIAM COLEMAN has been out on the drydock at West New Brighton.
Boston note: Tug HONEYBROOK is owned by Central RR of New Jersey.
February 18, 1903
Tugs DEFIANCE and WM. E. FERGUSON were slightly damaged in a collision
off Pier 32, Brooklyn, on Thursday.
A fire occurred on Tuesday morning in the engine room of the C. W. WOODWARD,
lying at the foot of East 157th Street, which caused about $1,000 worth
of damage. The tug was not insured.
March 5, 1903
Tug C. J. SAXE…
Tug C. W. WOODWARD has been purchased by M. Martin and is employed in
towing garbage scows to Riker’s Island.
Boston notes: Tugs BISMARCK and SEGUIN..
March 19, 1903
The neat tug GEORGE D. COOLEY is working around the harbor.
Tug H. L. FINGER is laid up at Sullivan’s Basin.
Boston notes: Breyman’s tug B. T. HAVILAND is towing mud.
April 30, 1903
Tug KOMUK, assisting the 1st Albany tow of the season, was in collision
with one of the Annex ferryboats, with only slight damage.
May 7, 1903
Tug H. L. FINGER, ex-ADRIATIC, 50 tons, of New York, has changed her name
Tug C. W. STANDART has been sold to the Knickerbocker Towing Co.
May 28, 1903
Tug EDWIN HAWLEY was towing between New Haven and New London during the
June 4, 1903
The Hudson River tug PONTIAC is now called ED. F. MURRAY.
Baltimore tug BRITANNIA..
June 11, 1903
Tug C. W. WOODWARD has been given permission to change her name to WATER-FRONT.
July 16, 1903
Tug JOHN GLEN, of Athens, Capt. P. J. Ford, is working around the harbor.
She had her pilot-house carried away by fouling a hawser at Pier P, Jersey
City, on Friday.
Tug PONTIAC has been rebuilt at Athens and now bears the name of ED. F.
July 30, 1903
Tug G. W. DECKER was run into by ferryboat COLORADO under the East River
Bridge on Monday, and had the port
side of her house stove in.
Tug C. W. STANDART is now owned by the Knickerbocker Lighterage Company.
She is painted dark green and has a white spiked crown on her stack. The
company also has the D. F. SKINNER in service.
August 6, 1903
[snapshot of harbor tug HUDSON]
August 13, 1903
Tug JOHN GLEN is held by the U. S. Marshal at Sussex Street, Jersey City.
Tug JAMES J. LOGAN is undergoing machinery repairs.
September 10, 1903
The new tug SENATOR RICE is towing for the White Star Towing Co.
October 22, 1903
Tug R. B. LITTLE had her upper works destroyed by fire at the foot of
Morris Street, Jersey City, on Monday morning.
November 5, 1903
Tugs JOHN GLEN and LAURIDA are laid up at Jersey City owing to a disagreement
among the owners.
Tug WM. E. FERGUSON, which was damaged by sinking recently, was taken
to Ward’s yard at Astoria for repairs.
November 19, 1903
“We understand that the S. O. Co. has made a long offer for the
tug CORNELL, the figure is said yo be $135,000.”
December 10, 1903
Tug CONEY ISLAND has gone into Gravesend Creek for the winter.
Tug HUDSON has been sold to the Cox Towing Line of Elizabethport.
December 17, 1903
The small tug JAMES KENNEDY, while towing two scows from Patchogue to
the tug GEORGE HILL, grounded in Fire
Island Inlet and the scows separating, bore down on her and with the bridle
rope, swept the house, stack and
whistle from the tug causing her to sink. The KENNEDY was built in Buffalo
but was owned in Albany.
February 18, 1904
HARVEY W. TEMPLE is laid up at Sullivan’s Basin.
February 25, 1904
Tug SENATOR RICE is working for Wright & Cobb, towing their flour-laden
barges to and fro.
April 28, 1904
Tug D. F. SKINNER, Knickerbocker Towing Co., makes a good appearance since
May 26, 1904
Tug VIRGINIA EHRMANN arrived from Albany on Saturday, and will be employed
by her owners Kirk, Driscoll & Co., in their dredging work at Newark.
Kirk, Driscoll & Co’s tug FRED J. FENNER has been at 26th Street,
Brooklyn, undergoing general repairs.
The Albany tug WM. H. BALDWIN is working for Hughes Bros. & Bangs.
She has a 14 x 16” engine.
Two new tugs, recently built for Hawley Miller of Albany, are at that
port finishing up. The hulls were built by Wm. H.
Baldwin at New Baltimore, and the machinery is being furnished by Skinner
& Arnold of Albany. Their engines are
16 x 20” and 18 x 20”.
June 9, 1904
The tug KOMUK, formerly a well-known craft on the Hudson, was sold at
Marshal’s sale on June 3 at Key West, Florida.
June 23, 1904
Tug ANTHRACITE sank at Port Johnson on Friday night..
July 21, 1904
The U. S. Marshal sold the late Capt. G. N. Milliken’s tug VOLUNTEER
on Thursday, 7/14, at auction, to the Dwyer
Brothers, of Kingston, for $6,550.
July 28, 1904
Tug VOLUNTEER is undergoing a general overhaul at Gokey’s.
August 4, 1904
The Arbuckle Brothers have started an opposition line in the New York
and Albany towboat trade. They have the tugs C. W. STANDART, HERCULES,
JOHN HARLIN and SCOTIA in commission at the present time. It is said that
this move has been made in retaliation to the Cornell Towboat Co. entering
the New York Harbor trade with its smaller tugs.
August 25, 1904
The Charities tug COMPANION has had her name changed to THOMAS M. MULREY
September 8, 1904
Tugs HERCULES, JOHN HARLIN, LEONARD RICHARDS, RAMAPO, and WALLACE B. FLINT
are in the service of the opposition Albany towing trade [the Arbuckles].
Capt. Frank McArdle and Thomas H. Farrell are looking after the South
Street end of the line.
September 15, 1904
The principal topic of the Harbor is the Arbuckle and Coykendall [Cornell]
fight in the Hudson River towing trade. The canaller is getting his innings
now and only hopes that he will have his share for some time to come.
Towing rates are down to $5 for towing a boat to or from Albany, and one
who knows says that there is a clean loss of $1,000 per day to the towing
September 22, 1904
Capt. John J. Wilson is afloat again in the tug THEODORE BRIGGS [T. A.
BRIGGS] which he has purchased from Capt. Al Briggs, manager of the “U”
September 29, 1904
Tug WALLACE B. FLINT is reported as having been purchased by the Arbuckles
October 6, 1904
(snapshots of OSWEGO and WM. E. FERGUSON)
October 13, 1904
Tug ANDREW J. WHITE has been towing for the Arbuckles while the THOMAS
WALSH was overhauling.
Tug WALLACE B. FLINT has been purchased by the Port Johnson Towing Co.
Name changes: WALLACE B. FLINT to COLERAINE.
January 5, 1905
J. H. RANDERSON was built at New Baltimore by Wm. H. Baldwin for J. P.
Randerson, of Albany.
January 12, 1905
P. McCABE, JR. of Albany was renamed W. B. McCULLOCH.
February 2, 1905
The tug EDNA MURRAY, owned by J. W. Lodge, of Troy, burned to the water’s
edge off Milford, Connecticut, on
Saturday last. Capt. Noble and his crew of seven escaped by jumping to
the ice and making shore. The MURRAY was valued at $8,500.
C. W. MORSE and TRITON still operate at Boston.
Tug TOM S. WOTKYNS, of the Vierow Line, was at the Brown Drydocks for
February 23, 1905
Cornell’s Winter Fleet in New York Harbor is: FRANK, G. W. DECKER,
H. D. MOULD, J. G. ROSE, J. H. WILLIAMS,
ROBERT A. SCOTT, W. N. BAVIER, WILSON P. FOSS, and WM. E. CLEARY.
Cornell’s boats in Winter quarters at Rondout are: C. D. MILLS,
COE F. YOUNG, CORNELL, EDWIN H. MEAD, GENERAL McDONALD, GEO. W. WASHBURN,
GEORGE W. PRATT, HARRY, J. C. HARTT, JOHN D. SCHOONMAKER. JOHN H. CORDTS,
OSCEOLA, OSWEGO, P. C. RONAN, PITTSTON, POCAHONTAS, ROB, and SILAS O.
March 2, 1905
Tug HARVEY W. TEMPLE is for sale at Erie Basin.
April 6, 1905
Boston notes: TRITON has been hauled at Rondout for general overhauling.
April 13, 1905
Arbuckle has abandoned the Hudson River towing war.
GREENVILLE, owned by Morris & Cummings, capsized and sank, drowning
three men, while taking a mud scow from
tug EUGENE F. MORAN on Saturday.
April 27, 1905
The tug T. A. BRIGGS is now running under the name STANLEY H. MINER.
Tug R. B. LITTLE is towing for M. Moran. [chartered]
May 4, 1905
The Independent Towing Line on the North River has begun its’ opposition
to the Cornell Line, and it is reported that they will have several new
tugs in service shortly.
May 11, 1905
The Beverwyck Towing Line employs OSCEOLA and POCAHONTAS. They take the
tows as far north as
Poughkeepsie where the tow is handed to a side-wheeler and her consorts.
The propellers G. C. ADAMS and SARANAC assist the side-wheelers on the
upper half of the tow. The side-wheelers are NORWICH and OSWEGO. The towboat
GENERAL McDONALD will be ready this week.
McAllister Brothers, who were to enter in opposition to Cornell, will
not, for they failed to make terms with union boatmen in time to start
May 25, 1905
Tug W. H. BALDWIN, late of Albany, but now hailing from New York, is employed
as a tender to the fleet of the “White
Squadron” – Hughes Brothers and Bangs, at work on the Bay
Ridge channel. BALDWIN is almost entirely crewed by the Pratt family.
June 22, 1905
Tug M. B. HARLOW, of Albany, is towing around the harbor.
Baltimore notes: New tug PRINCESS will be launched this week by Wm. E.
Woodall & Co. for the James Clark Co.
June 29, 1905
Vierow owns BRANDON and TOM S. WOTKYNS.
Tice Line’s R. B. LITTLE…
July 6, 1905
Vessels built between Dec. 1, 1904, and June 1, 1905:
GEO. H. ALLEN, JR., 99 tons, 85.6 x 20.6 x 9.2 feet, buily by Peter McCabe,
Athens, for Hawley Miller, of Albany.
PROTECTOR, 176 tons, 101.8 x 21.8 x 8.9, built by Neafie & Levy, Philadelphia,
for Lake Champlain Towing Co., of Whitehall.
Knickerbocker Towing Co’s tugs were sold at Marshal’s sale.
C. W. STANDARD was bought by Capts. Lundberg, Sherman, et al. D. F. SKINNER
was bought by [Robert] McAllister & Sons [no relation to McAllister
July 13, 1905
THOMAS WALSH is owned by McAllister.
July 27, 1905
Tug SUCCESS, now of Albany, was at the Brown drydocks during the week
for general repairs. She is owned by her master Capt. J. R. Smith and
is working in Huntington Harbor.
August 17, 1905
The Albany tug JOEL D. SMITH has been working around the harbor.
The Albany tug ALICE B. was working for several weeks for the A. Johnson
Tug HERCULES has been sold to [only chartered to] Baxter, Dissosway and
Robinson, and will be employed in towing between New York and Sound ports.
August 24, 1905
Tug JOEL D. SMITH, recently hailing from Albany, is around the harbor
under the management of Eugene Streeter. Her engine is 16-1/2 x 20”
and was built by Stephenson & Leonard at Albany.
Tug ALICE R. returned to Albany on the 15th. She has a 13 x 20”
McWilliams’ tug JAMES McWILLIAMS, ex- Lehigh Tug CHEEKTOWAGA, ex-
ROBERT A. PACKER…
The Port Johnson Towing Co. have the tugs ANTHRACITE, and COLERAINE, ex-
WALLACE B. FLINT, in service.
September 21, 1905
Tug WM. ORR is one of the latest additions to the McAllister Brothers’
September 28, 1905
Tug D. F. SKINNER belongs to Robert McAllister.
October 5, 1905
Tug SENATOR RICE has been overhauled and painted. She is at present under
charter to the Commercial Lighterage Co.
November 2, 1905
JAMES D. LEARY, owned by W. S. Muckey of Brooklyn, burned Wednesday night.
December 21, 1905
The new high-pressure tug named for superintendent WALTER B. POLLOCK,
is working for the New York Central.
Tug IMPERIAL works on Chesapeake Bay. She has a 15, 30 x 22” engine,
and fire & wrecking pumps.
December 28, 1905
Tug J. E. RANDERSON, owned by J. E. Randerson of Albany, and used as a
tender to a dredge at Stonington, Conn., was fined $500 last week for
running on an expired license.
January 4, 1906
Tug BEATRICE BUSH and one other [ELEANOR BUSH], with engines 20, 40 x
28”, building for Bush Terminal by Neafie & Levy.
Tug JOHN ARBUCKLE and one other [WILLIAM V. R. SMITH], with engines 20,
40 x 28”, building for Jay Street Terminal.
Three tugs, unnamed, 116 x 24.5 x 14.5, 35 x 30” engine, for Central
Railroad of New Jersey, by Harlan & Hollingsworth.
ALICE R., 31 tons, 53 x 15 x 6, building by Baldwin at New Baltimore for
Hawley Miller [agent].
DOWNER, 65 tons, 64 x 19 x 8, J. S. Ellis & Son at Tottenville, for
Vierow Towing Line, of New York.
JOEL D. SMITH, 74 tons, 65 x 19 x 8, by Baldwin at New Baltimore, for
W. P. Smith of Renssalaer.
THOS. J. JOHNSON. 73 tons, 65 x 19 x 8, by Baldwin of New Baltimore, for
Hawley Miller [agent] of New Baltimore.
WALTER B. POLLOCK, by Wm. H. Baldwin, of New Baltimore, for James H. Williams.
Erie tug JAMESTOWN..
P. Sanford Ross’ tug VIOLETTA..
Tug JAMES McWILLIAMS, of McWilliams’ Brothers is the largest tug
in the Blue Line, measuring 130 x 25 x 13, engine 20, 40 x 28”.
She is engaged in towing between New York and Long Island Sound ports.
Phoenix Towing Company’s OLYMPIA..
Kennedy tugs ELSIE K. and EMMA J. KENNEDY..
McCaldin Brothers Company owns the tugs JAMES A. GARFIELD, McCALDIN BROS.,
and WM. J. McCALDIN.
Dailey & Ivins owns the tugs CHARLES E. MATTHEWS, HARRY G. RUNKLE,
MATTIE, and THREE BROTHERS.
January 11, 1906
Brandow owns the tug EDWIN BRANDOW.
L. Boyer’s Sons in the past have been operating tug FORTUNA. The
new tug IDEAL takes her place.
F. A. Egerton’s tugs DEFIANCE and HIAWATHA..
Beard Dredging Company’s EDITH BEARD..
Peter Cahill’s tug R. J. MORAN..
Red Cross’ tug ADELAIDE..
Smith & Briggs’ tugs A. W. SMITH and ALISON BRIGGS..
F. J. Bauer Towing Line’s present fleet: CHAS. J. DAVIS, REGINA,
and WHITESTONE. They just purchased tug GREENWICH, of Baltimore, with
a 16 x 20” engine, which will be added to the fleet shortly.
Flannery’s THOMAS FLANNERY and their latest addition SARAH E. EASTON..
S. L. Moore Sons’ Co. has assumed control of the Port Johnson Towing
Co. which owns 6 tugs.
January 18, 1906
Morris & Cummings’ tug CHARLES F. HARRIS..
January 25, 1906
J. B. King & Co’s big tug GYPSUM KING was totally wrecked at
New Brunswick, Canada, on Monday morning during a thick fog. She was 151’,
562 gt, and 1050 hp.
Carroll Brothers Line tug STERLING..
February 1, 1906
New York Harbor Towboat Co’s passenger steamer THOMAS C. MILLARD..
Capt. John Paries’s WILLIAM FULLER, recently burned, will be rebuilt
Vierow Towing Line’s CORNELL and SENATOR D. C. CHASE..
Cornell’s HERCULES, POCAHONTAS, TRITON, and WM. E. CLEARY..
Capt. Matthew Grant’s MAMIE..
DuBois Dredging’s tug TACOMA..
Lehigh Valley’s HAZLETON..
Lackawanna RR’s BERNARDSVILLE and WASHINGTON..
February 8, 1906
Shamrock Towing Line’s PATRICK McGUIRL and ST. PATRICK..
Baltimore & Ohio RR’s HUGH L. BOND, JR…
Moran Towing’s CATHERINE MORAN and M. MORAN..
J. B. King Co. is chartering PRUDENCE.
Gowanus Towing’s DAISY and NEWSBOY..
White Star Towing Line’s NONPAREIL..
Tug GLADYS, of Albany..
Carroll Brothers’ STERLING, formerly of Old Dominion Steamship Line,
CARROLL BOYS, and SEVEN BROTHERS..
WM. FULLER renamed EVA MAY
JOEL D. SMITH renamed ROBERT McALLISTER
CHAS. C. WING renamed HENRY GILLEN
February 15, 1906
Lackawanna RR’s JOHN S. SMITH..
February 22, 1906
Wood Towing Co., of Newburgh, sold out to Cornell, including tugs GEORGE
FIELD, and R. G. DAVIS.
White Star Towing Line’s SAMUEL E. BOUKER..
March 1, 1906
Hudson Tow Boat’s W. A. SHERMAN..
Barrett’s EXCELSIOR, JOHN A. BOUKER, MARGARET A. LENNOX, and R.
Commercial Wharf Company’s JOHN G. CHANDLER..
Central RR of New Jersey’s NOTTINGHAM.. Also FLEMINGTON, FREEHOLD,
ROSELLE, and 3 boats recently purchased: BALTIC, DAVID B. DEARBORN, and
Lackawanna RR’s tug UTICA..
Tice Line’s ARCHEY CROSSMAN, GEORGE S. TICE, R. B. LITTLE, and WALTER
March 8, 1906
Jay Street Railroad’s WM. V. R. SMITH..
Cornell’s HERCULES, ICE KING, J. G. ROSE, TRITON, and towboat NORWICH..
O’Brien Brothers’ TOM & JOE
Long Island Sand Co’s E. A. PACKER..
White Star Towing Line’s GOLDEN RULE and ROBERT PALMER..
Arbuckle’s JOHN WISE..
March 15, 1906
The Haverstraw tug MABEL..
Baltimore & Ohio Railroad tugs A. C. ROSE, BALTIMORE, GEO. F. RANDOLPH,
HUGH L. BOND, JR., JOHN K. COWEN, NARRAGANSETT, and OSCAR G. MURRAY.
Lackawanna RR’s tug MADISON..
March 22, 1906
Murray Line’s ED. F. MURRAY..
Bush Terminal’s VALIANT..
East River Towing Co’s CHARLES E. SOPER, CLAREMONT, DIRECTOR, FLORENCE,
JOHN LEE, and MISCHIEF.
April 5, 1906
Arbuckle’s JOHN HARLIN and RAMAPO..
Cornell’s J. H. WILLIAMS and ROBERT A. SCOTT..
Robert Rogers Towing Line’s ARROW and ROBERT ROGERS..
Thomas J. Farrell’s JAMES W. HUSTED..
Flannery Bros. Towing Line’s THOS. H. FLANNERY..
April 12, 1907..
Lehigh Valley Railroad’s WYALUSING ran on Nantucket April 4th and
sank. She was an eastern coal towing tug. Originally GOVERNOR H. M. HOYT.
White Star’s CHARLES RUNYON..
Ad for Scully Towing & Transportation Line. Tugs CHARLES B. SANFORD,
COASTWISE, JOHN SCULLY, NAVIGATOR, and T. J. SCULLY.
April 19. 1906
Capt. Richard Jones & others’ F. WOODRUFF..
Phoenix Towing Co’s ANNIE L.
Capt. L. D. Potter’s JAMES KAY and RELIANCE..
New Jersey Terminal & Dock Improvement Co’s COL. JOHN F. GAYNOR,
EUGENE HUGHES, and WM. H. BALDWIN.
April 26, 1906
Clarke Barge & Coal Elevator Co. recently purchased MICHAEL J. COFFEY.
Southern Pacific Co’s CONFIDENCE..
May 3, 1906
Bush Terminal’s BEATRICE BUSH, ELEANOR BUSH, JOHN G. WORTH, ROSEBUD,
May 10, 1906
MICHAEL J. COFFEY is towing for Norbert H. Forst & Co.
CASTOR is towing for Clyde Steamship Co.
Flannery Brothers’ EDDIE H. GARRISON, THOMAS FLANNERY, and W. H.
Red Star has the newly built GREENWICH and 7 others.
S. Rickard’s ALICE P. EGBERT..
James W. McWilliams’ JOHN GARRETT and POTTSVILLE..
Scully’s T. J. SCULLY..
F. W. Jarvis Lighterage Co’s ROBERT E. PETTY..
Lackawanna Railroad’s SCRANTON..
May 17, 1906
East River Towing Co’s BRILLIANT..
May 24, 1906
ARTHUR and GEO. H. ALLEN, JR. are being held for Marshal’s sale
on the 26th.
ELI B. CONINE was sold to North River parties and will be employed towing
brick barges. Capt. Conine will retain command.
Philadelphia & Reading Co’s tug WYOMISSING…
Moran has purchased the fleet of Dailey & Ivins. [not so, just two..
May 31, 1906
F. B. Dalzell & Co. has the tugs C. P. RAYMOND, E. S. ATWOOD, EDWARD
T. DALZELL, FRED B. DALZELL, H. B. MOORE, JR., J. FRED LOHMAN, UNION,
and W. FREELAND DALZELL.
White Star’s downtown fleet: GUIDING STAR, H. B. RAWSON, NONPAREIL,
ROBERT PALMER, and S. L’HOMMEDIEU.
Greenpoint Towing Line’s D. F. SKINNER.
F. Egerton’s DEFIANCE and HIAWATHA.
Dailey & Ivins [Moran’s] CHARLES E. MATTHEWS and HARRY G. RUNKLE..
M. Moran’s ARTHUR W. PALMER, CATHERINE MORAN, JOSEPH H. MORAN, and
M. MORAN, a new tug, a duplicate of ALBERT H. ELLIS.
Gowanus Towing’s ALICE, B. S. CRONIN, JAMES VAN ALST, JOHN SPARKS,
NEWS BOY, POST BOY, WILLIE, and others for a total of 14 boats in service.
New England Transportation Co’s FREDERICK E. IVES, and RESOLUTE.
Have RAMBLER on charter at Bromford.
June 7, 1906
Lehigh Valley RR’s LEHIGH.
Hudson Towboat Co. recently purchased NEW YORK CENTRAL NO. 2.
Daniel McElroy’s WM. COLEMAN..
ARTHUR, 16 tons, to J. Langdon Ward, $3,000, at Marshal’s sale.
GEO. H. ALLEN, JR., 67 tons, to J. Langdon Ward, $10,000.
CRESCENT (tug), J. Kelly transferred 19/64ths to John H. Fox and 37/64ths
to George S. Jenks.
MICHAEL J. COFFEY, F. A. Verdon to James Kerr.
June 14, 1906
Dalzell sold W. FREELAND DALZELL to Messrs. John Cambridge, John Crawford,
and John Hogan, for about $4200.
Carroll Towing Line’s CARROLL BOYS, SEVEN BROTHERS, and STERLING.
Arbuckle’s new WM. V. R. SMITH.
COL. JOHN F. GAYNOR, EUGENE HUGHES, STORM KING, W. H. BALDWIN, and WILKES-BARRE
are working for New Jersey Terminal & Dock Improvement Co.
June 21, 1906
Mutual Co’s WM. E. FERGUSON.
Gowanus Towing Line’s DAISY and GOWANUS.
L. Boyer Sons’ IDEAL.
June 28, 1906
George Dentz, of Jersey City, has the AMERICA, formerly in Pennsylvania
James McWilliams BELLE McWILLIAMS, POTTSVILLE, and ZOUAVE.
Lehigh Valley RR’s GANOGA, HAZELTON, and LEHIGH.
R. J. Barrett’s fleet: EXCELSIOR, JOHN A. BOUKER, MARGARET A. LENOX,
and R. J. BARRETT.
Red Cross Line’s ADELAIDE.
M. Moran added (only chartered) this week ELMER A. KEELER and JAMES A.
New steamers between Dec. 1, 1905 and June 1, 1906:
BEATRICE BUSH and ELEANOR BUSH, by Robert Palmer, Noank, for Bush Terminal
BERNARDSVILLE, MADISON, and MORRISTOWN, by Burlee Drydock for Lackawanna
GREENWICH, by A. C. Brown for Red Star Line
HENRY GILLEN, by Wm. H. Baldwin, for Henry Gillen.
IDEAL, by A. C. Brown for L. Boyer’s Sons.
JOHN ARBUCKLE and WM. V. R. SMITH, by Robert Palmer, for Jay Street Terminal.
NEW YORK CENTRAL NO. 8, by T. S. Marvel, for New York Central RR Co.
THOMAS C. MILLARD. By A. C. Brown, for John E. Moore Co.
TURTLE, by A. C. Brown, for Bush Terminal.
July 5, 1906
Cornell Steamboat Co. has 65 tugs and towboats.
Capt. Robert Rogers has just purchased the tug JAMES McALLISTER.
GENESTA was sold by Thomas Kiernan to Capt. Joseph P. Ford.
July 12, 1906
Dailey & Ivins’ DR. GEO. J. MOSHER and ESCORT..
Hudson Tow Boat’s NEW YORK CENTRAL NO. 2 will be renamed R. KELLER.
Hudson Tow Boat has the C. D. MENEELEY, IRVING G. KELLER, JOHN K. GILKINSON,
NETTIE L. TICE, W. A. SHERMAN, and W. F. COGAN.
Red Star is using the hull of tug WENDELL GOODWIN as a stakeboat.
James E. Hughes, of Philadelphia, has the ASA HUGHES, JOHN E. HUGHES,
and JOHN F. LEWIS.
ATKINS HUGHES, GLEN IRIS, and HARBOR are working for Hughes Bros. &
Staples Coal Co. is building tug WATUPPA for service on Long Island Sound.
She will replace the worn out CORA L. STAPLES.
Lackawanna’s tug CRESCO, formerly MERCY B..
Long Island Sand’s E. A. PACKER and J. D. BILLIARD..
Beard Dredging’s WILLIAM H. BEARD..
WALTER B. POLLOCK works for J. H. Williams Transportation Co. and carries
their initials on her stack.
Pennsylvania RR’s tug DELAWARE..
Central RR of New Jersey’s NOTTINGHAM..
Erie RR’s ELMIRA..
July 26, 1906
T. A. Scott, at New London, tug CASSIE..
M. Moran’s WILLIAM H. TAYLOR..
M. Moran’s CHARLES E. MATTHEWS, also has BATTLER under charter.
F. J. Bauer’s tug CHAS. J. DAVIS..
Hudson Tow Boat has renamed the NEW YORK CENTRAL NO. 2 as GERARD H. KELLER,
August 2, 1906
Central Railroad of NJ has FREEHOLD and RED ASH, and is adding ASHLEY,
BRIDGETON, and SEABRIGHT.
George Dentz, of Jersey City, has the CANISTEO.
Lehigh Valley RR’s HOKENDAUQUA and NESHANIC.
Staples Coal Co’s WATUPPA will not be used on Long Island Sound,
but rather, on coastal work.
August 16, 1906
The new Albany tug J. A. REYNOLDS with an engine 16 x 20”, which
was only in service about 10 days at Albany, was purchased by Mr. Raymond
and others of the Mallory Line and is running under the management of
Capt. Ed Brandow.
McGuirl’s [Shamrock T L] JAMES J. McGUIRL…
White Star Towing Line’s SUPERIOR, now building, and formerly had
the old EDNA V. CREW.
Peter Cahill’s O. L. HALENBACK and R. J. MORAN…
Baltimore & Ohio RR’s HACKENSACK…
Reading RR’s ASHBOURNE…
August 23, 1906
Wm. H. Templeton, Jr.’s C. W. STANDART and LAURIDA. Capt. Edw. Lundberg
is the agent.
Capt. Gilmore Halenbeck’s HENRY L. WAIT…
Lehigh Valley RR’s ALLENTOWN, LUZERNE, MAHANOY, and SLATINGTON.
August 30, 1906
C. R. Norman [Tidewater Oil] CHAS. R. NORMAN and TIDEWATER…
Beard’s C. N. KIMPLAND…
Capt. Wm. B. McElwee’s GEM, ex- WM. J. PEOPLES, of Philadelphia,
ex-S. O. CO. NO. 11…
Ocean Steamship Co. [Savannah Line’s] GEN. G. M. SORRELL, built
by Roach, 169 gt, with a 18, 36 x 26” engine.
September 6, 1906
J. A. REYNOLDS was built for Hawley Miller.
October 4, 1906
Capt. P. C. Peterson’s tug ADELAIDE is now towing out of the office
of W. H. Templeton. She still carries the “Red Cross” on her
stack and makes a specialty of towing the “fish boats”, as
the steamers of Nova Scotia are termed.
Tug COVINGTON hurried the ice barge IOWA here from Bath, arriving at West
15th Street Thursday night.
Baltimore & Ohio RR’s tug GEO. F. RANDOLPH was at the company’s
Capt. A. W. Smith of the Smith & Briggs Towing Line, is again at his
New tug SUPERIOR of the White Star Towing Line, arrived from Noank, Conn.,
on Saturday and was immediately set to work. She is to replace the EDNA
V. CREW which was sold some time ago to Baltimore parties.
Tug S. O. CO. NO. 10 was rammed by the propeller ELLA off Dock Street,
East River, on the evening of the 25th and sank, one life lost.
Boston Notes: Lehigh Valley tug HOKENDAUQUA’s boiler is being repaired
in New York..
..is on tug MERCURY for her trip to New York.
Staples Coal Co’s ocean tug CONCORD..
October 11. 1906
Tug ROBERT A. PALMER of the White Star Towing Line, is one of the finest
wooden tugs in the port.
Tug C. W. STANDART, of W. H. Templeton’s Line, picked up the tug
H. B. RAWSON off West Bank on Thursday with two scows, and towed them
up to the city. The RAWSON had a line in her wheel.
The freight propeller JOHN WISE has been altered into a steam lighter.
Tug SEA KING, formerly owned in Philadelphia, has been sold to New York
October 18, 1906
It was announced that the New Haven Railroad, through its’ New England
Navigation Co., has secured control of the Hartford & New York Transportation
Co. They now own seven tugs: A. M. SMITH, J. WARREN COULSTON, LUTHER C.
WARD, MABEL, ONRUST, RAYMOND, and SACHEM, and 24 barges.
Tug EDMUND MORAN is on her trip here from Neafie & Levy’s yard
Tug JULIA C. MORAN…
Tug SOMMERS N. SMITH arrived here on Sunday from Philadelphia with a carfloat
for the Pennsylvania RR.
Standard Oil’s barge S. O. CO. NO. 90 broke away from their tug
ASTRAL in the Gulf during a storm. Tug E. L. RUSSELL recovered the barge
and towed it to Tampa.
Lehigh Valley tug MAHANOY has her engine and boiler out.
Tugs J. D. BILLARD, META, RONDOUT, and STELLA have joined the laid up
fleet in the Erie Basin.
Tugs COVINGTON and NATHAN HALE arrived here on Sunday with barges of ice
from the Kennebec.
Tug BISMARCK towed a steamer to Rockland.
Boston Tow Boat Co’s tug CONFIDENCE..
Tug PEJEPSCOT, the finest and largest tug ever built in Portland Harbor,
is well toward completion at Portland Shipbuilding Co. She is being built
for the Bay Shore Lumber Co., of Brunswick, Me., and will be used to tow
pulp wood from the eastern ports of Maine and Nova Scotia.
October 25, 1906
New York Harbor Towboat Co’s JOHN NICHOLS..
Tug JAMES A. LAWRENCE, Joseph Meehan, manager, sank at the Atlantic Dock
on Thursday morning. She was refloated and drydocked.
The tug W. FREELAND DALZELL, now owned by Capt. John McCambridge and chief
John McMartin, is overhauling.
Tug BALTIC of Central RR of NJ, is being rebuilt.
Tug CHARLES H. SENFF has had an overhaul.
November 1, 1906
Tugs BATTLER, BUCCANEER, CHARLES B. SANFORD, CHEEKTOWAGA, COASTWISE, CORA
L. STAPLES, FREDERICK E. IVES, HERCULES, HOKENDAUQUA, LEHIGH, NEMASKET,
R. M. WATERMAN, T. J. SCULLY, VIGILANT, and W. E. GLADWISH all took out
coastwise tows after a big storm passed.
Tug CHARLES T. GALLAGHER is on her way from Bath with a new carfloat for
Merritt’s tug RESCUE..
Moran’s ALFRED W. BOOTH..
Empire & New England Transportation Co’s RESOLUTE..
“U” Towing Line’s new tug UNIQUE..
A. B. Eldredge’s tug D. S. ARNOTT..
Coastwise Steamship Co’s F. W. ROEBLING..
Capt. Frank Stillwagon has purchased the tug BRILLIANT from Export Towing
Co., and Export has purchased the tug S. O. CO. NO. 10, ex-PEARL, from
the Standard Oil Co.
Standard Oil Co’s tug ASTRAL cleared here on Saturday for Jacksonville.
Capt. John L. Wade of the tug WADE..
Philadelphia tug IVANHOE is awaiting good weather to return to Philadelphia.
Atlantic Docks have a large number of tugs hauled up overnight awaiting
good weather. They are: Peter Cahill’s O. L. HALENBECK, Carroll
Brothers’ CARROLL BOYS and STERLING, Flannery Brothers EDDIE H.
GARRISON, THOMAS FLANNERY, and W. H. FLANNERY, McCaldin Brothers’
JAMES A. GARFIELD and WM. J. McCALDIN, Moran’s new tug EDMUND MORAN,
Tracy tugs THOMAS TRACY, WALTER TRACY, and WILLIAM TRACY,
Also the tugs ANNIE R. WOOD, CASTOR, EDWARD ANNAN, HENRY D. McCORD, ROBERT
WHITE, SADIE E. ELLIS, SARAH E. EASTON, and SARAH E. WETHERELL.
F. A. Egerton’s tugs DEFIANCE and HIAWATHA, Tracy tugs THOMAS TRACY,
WALTER TRACY, and WILLIAM TRACY, and also the tugs NEW YORK DOCK CO.,
SENATOR RICE and SUCCESS put in at Union Store’s Docks.
November 8, 1906
Templeton’s tug LAURIDA..
Tug BALTIC, of Central RR of NJ’s fleet, is completing her rebuild.
Alexander Malcom, owner of tug JAMES ROY..
Tug EDWARD LUCKENBACH..
Tugs HAZLETON and SHAMOKIN are repairing.
Tug NEWBURGH has just left Philadelphia for Galveston. She and her sister
HAVERSTRAW were ordered by Cornell Steamboat Co., for Hudson River use,
but were sold before being completed.
Lehigh Valley Railroad’s tug GENESSEE, of Perth Amboy, is used in
New York Harbor towing.
Adelbert Park’s GEO. S. TOWNSEND. Park is the tug’s engineer.
Peter Cahill’s R. J. MORAN..
E. A. PACKER is now reported as owned by the Phoenix Towing Co.
Boston notes: Philadelphia & Reading RR’s tugs INTERNATIONAL,
LENAPE, and LYKENS..
Baltimore notes: B & O RR’s tug TRANSFER is repairing.
Delaware River Note: Peter Hagan’s fleet: H. A. BERWIND, HON. BOIES
PENROSE, JOHN J. HAGAN, KEYSTONE, PETER HAGAN, and ROSE HAGAN.
November 15, 1906
Tugs S. R. CALLAWAY and sister-tug C. M. DEPEW were built for the New
York Central Railroad by T. S. Marvel & Co., of Newburgh.
Charities Department’s THOMAS F. GILROY..
John Hinyon and John McArdle recently acquired tug S. R. ST. JOHN.
Dailey & Ivins tug JOHN D. DAILEY is in for a new boiler.
Tugs E. S. BOOTH, EDWARD J. BERWIND, R. S. CARTER, and TRANSFER NO. 2…
Waterboat WILLIAM DINSDALE..
Tug MERCURY of Boston Towboat Co. arrived and left on Saturday.
Tug JAMES McALLISTER of Robert Rogers fleet.
Tug CHAS. R. NORMAN has been sold by Tidewater Oil Co. to the Tice Towing
Line of Jersey City.
Delaware River notes: New tug VICTORY left Philadelphia last week for
Charleston, SC. Built by Neafie & Levy for Tuxbury Lumber Co., 96
tons, 75 x 19.5 x 9 feet.
November 22, 1906
The U. S. Government auctioned off Navy tug CHEYENNE on October 14th.
Geo. D. Kuper & Bros. won with a bid of $1690.
New tug HAVERSTRAW, recently built for Cornell Steamboat, is now operated
by Lehigh Valley RR Co. which purchased her.
Tug BRITANNIA, which has been in service at Bermuda for a number of years
past, arrived here on Sunday and is laid up at Erie Basin, for sale.
Wrecking tug NORTH AMERICA..
Dalzell’s E. S. ATWOOD and J. FRED LOHMAN..
Tug P. J. T. CO. NO. 7, owned by the Port Johnson Towing Line, is towing
between New York and Vineyard Haven for Lehigh Valley RR Co.
Rogers’ tug ARROW, which was sunk by steamer PEQUOT, was raised
on the 16th.
Tug WESTERLY is hauled out at the New London Iron Works for repairs.
Baltimore notes: Western Maryland Railroad tug SWEEPSTAKES is repairing.
November 29, 1906
Hartford & New York Transportation Co’s SACHEM..
West Side Towing Line, Capt. Geo. W. Nadelle, manager, EMPIRE, GEO. S.
SCHULTZ, HEWITT BOISE, LIBBIE, and WM. H. WALKER..
Capt. Fred Stebbins’ ROBERT M. DUY..
F. B. Dalzell & Co. have purchased the tug SAMUEL E. BOUKER from the
White Star Towing Co.
Tugs GENESEE of Lehigh Valley RR, GEORGE S. SCHULTZ, ROBERT H. SMITH…
Tug W. A. FORMAN was added to the Hammond fleet of tugs recently.
Tug CHAS. P. KUPER has been sold to the Simmons Lighterage Co.
Tug EMERALD and ST. PATRICK of the Shamrock Towing Line..
Delaware River note: New tug M. E. SCULLY left Dialogue’s last week
for New York where she is owned by John H. Scully et al.
December 6, 1906
Tug PEJEPSCOT designed by Sadler, Perkins & Field, of New York, for
Bay Shore Lumber Co. 109 x 23 x 11’3”, with a fore & aft
compound 15, 32 x 22”.
Staples Coal Co’s new tug WATUPPA is nearly ready at the Port Richmond
Tug TACONY is now owned by the Staples Coal Co.
Tug GEO. K. KIRKHAM will have a new boiler.
Eastern District Terminal Co. will have their new tug IMPERIAL out shortly.
She is finishing up at Port Richmond.
A new tug is being built for McAllister Brothers.
P. Kelly’s tug META will have a new boiler.
J. B. King Transportation Company’s GYPSUM KING..
Tug COLIMA, formerly EUGENE F. MORAN, sailed from Philadelphia May 7th,
arrived at Manzanillo on the West Coast of Mexico on August 20th.
Tugs BELLE McWILLIAMS and GENESTA are under charter to Interstate Lighterage
Co. They are having a fine modern tug built by Fred Verdon at West Brighton.
December 13, 1906
D. & C. McWilliams’ CHARLES McWILLIAMS..
James McWilliams’ L. LUCKENBACH and PETROLIA..
Frank Stinson’s WALTER W. BETTS..
Capt. G. N. Milliken’s fine tug ZOUAVE..
Long Island Sand Co’s E. A. PACKER..
“U” Line’s tugs UNION, UNIQUE, and UNITY..
New tug GEO. K. KIRKHAM was delivered to the New York Harbor Towboat Co.
Pennsylvania Railroad had in their shops for repairs A. C. SUMNER, BRINTON,
JESSIE, JOHNSTOWN, OVERBROOK, PENNSYLVANIA, and WILMINGTON.
Kuper’s GEO. D. KUPER.. Their new purchase CHEYENNE is due this
Commercial Towing Co’s, of Boston, JOSHUA LOVETT..
DuBois Dredging’s ARIOSA..
The East River Towing Co., Thomas J. Edwards, proprietor, with an office
at Commercial & Dupont Streets in Brooklyn, has a handy fleet of tugs
for harbor work: CHARLES E. SOPER, CLAREMONT, DIRECTOR, FLORENCE, JOHN
LEE, and MISCHIEF.
Tug W. A. FORMAN, formerly AGNES H. WHITE, is the latest addition to the
Hammond Lighterage Company’s fleet.
Tug CHAS. P. KUPER has been purchased by Chief Balaban, owner of the tug
New tug THEODORE B. JOHNSON, recently built for A. Johnson, with an engine
by Skinner & Arnold of Albany.
Lehigh tug GENEVA, on the North River on the 4th, collided, ran into South
Cove before she sank. Raised on Friday by Merritt-Chapman.
Tug NEW YORK DOCK COMPANY, Capt. John Gully, Jr., carries a red, white,
and red band on her stack since her recent overhaul.
Boston note: Boston Towboat Company’s tug UNDERWRITER..
December 20, 1906
Dalzell’s tug SAMUEL E. BOUKER..
New Staples tug WATUPPA was out on trials Thursday.
Delaware River note: B & O RR Company brought tug MAJOR HENRY BREWERTON
around from Baltimore to assist CONVOY towing carfloats on the Delaware.
December 27, 1906
Patrick McGuirl’s [Shamrock Towing Line] SHAMROCK and ST. PATRICK..
Kuper’s CHEYENNE, which was a Navy tug, is coming here under her
old name BRISTOL. Built by Samuel Pregnall of Charleston in 1885, she
has been a Navy tug for years.
White Star Towing Line’s CERES, CHARLES RUNYON, GUIDING STAR, H.
B. RAWSON, JOHN A. BOUKER, and S. L’HOMMEDIEU..
Gowanus Towing Co., James Van Alst, manager, has 9 boats inside and 3
outside, ALICE, JOHN SPARKS, and WILLIE..
Tug ELI SHRIVER, JR. is in for a new wheel.
Boats wintering at Erie Basin: Tugs BRITANNIA, C. F. ROE, CHIEF, COL.
JOHN F. GAYNOR, E. A. PACKER, EXCHANGE, JAMES W. HUSTED, RONDOUT, SARAH
E. EASTON, and SUCCESS.
Tug A. W. SMITH, GENERAL NEWTON…
A tug to be named HERO is being completed by Long Island Marine &
Machine Construction Co. for the Newtown Creek Towing Co. Newtown is also
having a tug built by J. Ellis & Son at Tottenville.
Tug WATER-FRONT is a frequent visitor at East River wharves.
Capt. Paries commands the tug EVA MAY, ex- WILLIAM FULLER..
“Gallus” Sam is Captain of the tug LEADER.
Capt. George I. Forsyth’s tug EMERALD [of Shamrock Towing Line]..
Ads: Shamrock Towing Line’s ERIN, HEWITT BOICE, JAMES J. McGUIRL,
PATRICK McGUIRL, SHAMROCK, and ST. PATRICK.
James McWilliams has two tugs for sale:
77 x 17’1” x 7’5”, engine 17, 34 x 22”
73’9” x 17’8” x 8’9”, engine 15, 28
January 3, 1907
Boilers are being built for:
Tug INTERSTATE, F. A. Verdon, New Brighton
Tug GEO. K. KIRKHAM, New York Harbor Towboat Co.
Tug META, P. Kelly
Tug EDITH, C. B. McLaury, New Brunswick, NJ
Tug ROBERT H. COOK, Lake Champlain Transportation Co., Whitehall, NY
Tug McALLISTER BROS., McAllister Bros.
At Burlee Drydock, Port Richmond:
WATUPPA, 14, 22, 36 x 24” engine, for Staples Coal Co.
GYPSUM KING, 165.6 x 29.3 x 19.2’, 17, 27, 45 x 36” engine
for J. B. King Transportation Co.
Another tug, 331 gt, same as GYPSUM KING, building for stock.
INDUSTRY, 18, 38 x 26” engine, for Havemeyers & Elder [Brooklyn
IRVINGTON and WYOMISSING, 17, 25, 43 x 30” engines, for Lehigh Valley
Dialogue has the POCOMOKE under construction for New York, Philadelphia
& Norfolk RR Co.
Harlan & Hollingsworth has EL CHICO and EL TORO under construction
for the Southern Pacific Co., of New York.
New Steamers built between 6/1/06 and 12/1/06:
FLORENCE M. WOODWARD, 35 tons, 55.7 x 16.6 x 6.5’, by Wm. H. Baldwin,
of New Baltimore, for Jno. P. Randerson, Albany.
PHIL J. MILLER by Wm. H. Baldwin, for Hawley Miller, of New Baltimore.
THEODORE B. JOHNSON, by Wm. H. Baldwin, for Hawley Miller, of New Baltimore.
WHITEHALL, by Wentworth Allen, of Athens, for the same.
ASHLEY and BRIDGETON, built by Harlan & Hollingsworth for Central
Railroad of New Jersey.
DANIEL McELROY, by Rodermond Bros., for F. A. Verdon Co.
FRANK PERRY, Johnston Iron Works, for Frank Perry, Soo, Michigan.
GENERAL G. M. SORREL, by Delaware River Iron Shipbuilding & Engine
Works, for Ocean Steamship Co., of New York.
Commercial Towboat Co’s tug JOSHUA LOVETT..
Tug SUPERIOR, the latest addition to the White Star Towing Line, was sold
to Lehigh Valley Railroad Co. recently.
Tug W. H. BALDWIN is laid up at the Bay Ridge Yacht Basin.
Tug STELLA, Stanley H. Minor..
Tug ALFRED J. MURRAY, Capt. F. Ferguson, owner..
Tug HAVERSTRAW is owned by Lehigh Valley Transportation Co.
Tug NEWBURGH is owned by her builder John H. Dialogue.
Tug STANLEY H. MINER..
F. A. Egerton with tugs DEFIANCE and HIAWATHA.
Shamrock Towing Line with tugs EMERALD, HEWITT BOICE, JAMES J. McGUIRL,
PATRICK McGUIRL, SHAMROCK, and ST. PATRICK.
F. J. Bauer with tugs CHAS. J. DAVIS, WM. ORR, and others.
[these ads were possibly made up years ago.]
James McWilliams: tugs for sale: 77 x 17’1” x 7’5”,
and 73’9” x 17’8” x 8’9”.
January 10, 1907
Tug M. E. SCULLY is said to be the fastest tug in American waters, if
not the world: 16 mph.
Capt. Geo. Brandow steers the tug PRESIDENT.
Capt. Potter’s tug JAMES KAY..
Tug ARROW is being rebuilt.
Tug JAMES McALLISTER broke her wheel in Cow Bay recently and was towed
down with her tow by tug MARIA HOFFMAN.
New York tug R. W. BURKE had her name changed to RELIABLE.
January 17, 1907
New tug INDUSTRY, Eastern District Terminal, is engaged in towing floats
between Brooklyn and Jersey City. She is a substantial and powerful boat.
Tug NETTIE was damaged by fire at Edgewater, the night of the 9th.
Tug DEFIANCE had a large fire aboard while moored at a night berth at
Pier 31, Brooklyn, on Thursday night.
Tug COL. JOHN F. GAYNOR is towing mud for the M. Moran Towing Co. with
Moran’s own tug JULIA C. MORAN.
Tug ROBERT ROGERS, now owned by the Bouker Contracting Co., is busy towing
mud to sea.
January 24, 1907
Capt. Harry L’Hommedieu is in charge of White Star Towing Line on
Tug BROOKLYN [#85657] tows for the Valvoline Oil Co.
January 31, 1907
The Metropolitan Dredging Co’s tug AMERICAN is laid up at Shooters’
New steam lighter COMPORT will do a large portion of Export Lighterage
Dailey’s tug WILLIAM J. DAILEY carries a short stack to work under
the Harlem River bridges at all hours. She is a staunch and well-built
February 7, 1907
Tug PATIENCE, owned by W. J. Tice, of Hackensack, NJ, has been awarded
$4,500 in salvage
Tug GLEN IRIS, tied up at Atlantic Works for some time, was sold last
Saturday at U. S. Marshal’s sale to Boston Tow Boat Co., for $1,125.
Wrecking tug NORTH AMERICA has been recently sold to the Arbuckle Bros,
and has been sent to New York.
February 14, 1907
Tug JAMES McALLISTER of Robert Rogers’ fleet was in collision with
steam lighter RAMBLER and had to be beached to prevent her from sinking.
Tug ARTHUR W. PALMER sank at the foot of Congress Street, Brooklyn, on
the night of the 6th.
Tug JOHN RUGGE, formerly CHAS. R. NORMAN, is the latest addition to the
Tice Towing fleet of tugs. Tice’s GEORGE S. TICE, HENRY A. PECK,
R. B. LITTLE, and WALTER J. TICE were at Morris Street, Jersey City.
Tugs A. C. SUMNER, ARCHIBALD WATT, EDNA B. KING, F. M. STINSON, LILA MAY
HARDY, S. R. ST. JOHN, and TACOMA…
JOHN GARRETT of James McWilliams is undergoing a full overhaul.
Tug ROBERT ROGERS is now owned by Bouker Construction Co.
February 21, 1907
Tug HUGH McFADDEN, which has been laid up at the Erie Basin for the past
two years, sank there on Thursday [2/14].
Beard Dredging’s C. N. KIMPLAND, EDITH BEARD, and HENRY S. BEARD..
Tug HIAWATHA, which sank in the North River off Manhattanville, has been
The U. S. Marshals are holding the following tugs:
ALEXANDER BARKLEY, with a claim of $127 by William Hoice & Co. [Boice
GEORGE W. ELDER, with a claim of $562 by William Hoice & Co.
GEORGE W. ELDER, with a claim of $1039 by North River Coal & Wharf
FRANKLIN N. BROWN, with a claim of $336 by North River Coal & Wharf
FRANKLIN N. BROWN, with a claim of $609 by William Hoice & Co.
February 28, 1907
Albany tug J. E. RANDERSON was here for machinery repairs.
Tug KENSINGTON, a cruiser in the upper East River and carrying a red ball
on her yellow stack, makes her headquarters at the foot of West 22nd Street.
Tugs NARRAGANSETT, VULCAN…
McAllister’s tug SARAH J. WEED..
The harbor tug SEA WALL, formerly belonging to the port of Baltimore,
lies a wreck on the beach at Stapleton.
March 7, 1907
Tug HERCULES broke into Cow Bay, Long Island, cutting through eighteen
inches of ice.
The new tug EL CHICO for the Southern Pacific Co., arrived here on Saturday
and started work on Monday. The company’s other new boat, EL TORO,
will be out shortly.
Tug KENSINGTON sank at the foot of Degraw Street, Brooklyn, on Thursday
night, but was raised the following day.
Tug UTICA, of Lackawanna Railroad, struck propeller blades of a steamer
on Thursday night and sank.
The tug building at Tottenville for Robert Rogers has been sold to Stanwood
Towing Line and is nearly ready for launching. She will be named for CHARLES
A. FOX of the firm of Conway & Fox, Stanwood Towing Line, at 17 State
Tugs GEM, RELIANCE…
Tug WHITE & PRICE, 13 tons, formerly of this port, but last inspected
at Philadelphia, has been renamed REGENT.
Tug GOLDEN ROD burned at Newtown Creek on Monday night [3/4].
March 14, 1907
A. G. Ropes is the owner of tug JAS. A. LAWRENCE.
Tug WILLIAM M. WADLEY…
Tug ANNA J. KIPP, which sank recently, was raised and again is in service
for the White Star Towing Co. The tug GOLDEN ROD, damaged by fire, is
in a shipyard and will be ready for work by April 1st.
March 21, 1907
Ferry TRANSPORT, at Kingston, began to ferry after Cornell tugs cut a
path through the ice.
Conway & Fox expect to launch their tug CHARLES A. FOX at Tottenville
The Kennedy Towing Line, of 32 South Street, has the tugs CHRISTINE, ELSIE
K., EMMA J. KENNEDY, and M. D. WHEELER.
The Vierow tug CORNELL has her stack painted after the French Line style.
She is employed around Pier 42, North River.
Tug CRESCENT while at Pier 1, North River, on Thursday, in fog, was run
into by tug MARGARET, of Norfolk, and was sunk. She was raised the same
March 28, 1907
Tug BRITANNIA, which has been laid up at New York for some months, has
been sold to the Knickerbocker Steam Towage Company, of Bath, and will
be employed on the Kennebec River.
The Savannah tug DAUNTLESS has been chartered for work on Long Island
Tug JAS. A. LAWRENCE has been sold to the Gallagher Bros., who will employ
her in towing sand scows from their deposits at Cow Bay.
Tug EXPRESS was sold by the U. S. Marshal last week to Fred A. Verdon,
of Staten Island, for $555.
Erie RR tug NYACK..
April 4, 1907
The work of raising the burned towboat NORWICH will begin next week.
The staunch tug JOHN D. DAILEY, while bound up the North River at about
4 a.m. Monday during a heavy snowstorm, collided with ferryboat MUSCONETCONG,
sinking the tug and drowning two of her crew.
April 11, 1907
The harbor tug ROBERT ROGERS has been renamed BOUKER NO. 2.
Tugs CHARM, ED BRANDOW, J. A. REYNOLDS, and PRESIDENT are managed by Capt.
Ed Brandow and John Brainard.
Trim-looking tug RELIABLE, owned by Capt. Daniel McElroy, is working around
the harbor. She was built out of the remains of the tug R. W. BURKE by
F. A. Verdon’s shops. She has a steeple compound engine 13-1/2,
25 x 20”.
April 18, 1907
NORWICH was floated on Monday.
Tug GEM is at Port Richmond fitting out. She is reported as having been
sold to the Inland Boatman’s Union for service on Lake Champlain.
Newtown Creek Towing Co’s DEFENDER, new HERO, and VIGILANT..
Assemblyman Thomas H. Farrell will bring out his tug JAMES W. HUSTED shortly.
Lehigh Valley RR’s tug LUZERNE which was sunk in the Harlem River
recently is at Erie Basin repairing.
Lehigh Valley’s GENEVA, ITHACA, NESHANIC, and SHAWANESE..
April 25, 1907
Tug BELLE McWILLIAMS has joined Capt. John Pareis’ fleet.
Laid up at the Atlantic Basin: Capt. Burger’s EDWARD ANNAN, Carroll
Bros.’ SEVEN BROTHERS, and Peter Cahill’s O. L. HALENBECK.
The McConnell Bros. have their tug HARLEM RIVER NO. 4 nearly ready for
service. She will have the rebuilt engine of HARLEM RIVER NO. 1 and the
rebuilt hull of the tug LYNDHURST.
Tug RONDOUT has joined the Hudson Tow Boat Co. Fleet.
May 2, 1907
Erie RR’s tug RAMAPO is in for a general rebuild.
Tug WM. S. ANDERSON will be offered for sale on May 2nd by the U. S. Marshal.
P. Sanford Ross’ tugs EMMA KATE ROSS, MARGARET J. SANFORD, and VIOLETTA..
Old Dominion Co’s fine tug WILLIAM ROWLAND is overhauling.
Tug CARROLL BOYS has been sold to Philadelphia parties.
May 9, 1907
From the newspaper “Kingston Freeman”:
Isaac M. North, superintendent of the Cornell Steamboat Company, has been
working for Cornell 45 years today. He started with Cornell in 1862. When
Joseph Cornell left in 1870, he became superintendent. In 1862 Cornell
owned the tug WALTER B. CRANE and twenty others. Today they own 60.
Steamer MANHATTAN was once owned by Cornell.
The Cornell tug S. L. CROSBY, which was sunk in a collision with steamer
WILLIAM C. REDFIELD between West Point and Cranston’s Mill, will
probably never be raised as she is said to have sunk in very deep water.
Dalzell’s tugs FRED B. DALZELL, and UNION..
JAMES McALLISTER has been renamed AUTOMATIC.
HAVERSTRAW has been renamed AURORA.
J. E. RANDERSON has been renamed JOHN J. HAGUE.
May 16, 1907
Norbert H. Forst has added tug BELLE McWILLIAMS to his fleet.
Pareis Towing Line, Pier 43, North River, has the tugs BLUE STONE CO.,
EVA MAY, and JESSIE.
Tug GLEN COVE is libelled for repair work of $925.
Tug JOHN NICHOLS is one of the neatest wooden tugs in the harbor. She
is New York Harbor Towboat Co’s crack boat.
Pennsylvania Railroad’s JUNIATA and PENNSYLVANIA..
Steamship MOMUS ran into and sank tug ANNA J. KIPP on the 8th, with one
life lost. She was owned by the Newtown Creek end of White Star Towing
Co. and although aged, was a good boat. Her former owner Capt. L. Kipp
kept her in good repair during the many years he owned her.
May 23, 1907
Capt. James Burger has retired, selling his tug EDWARD ANNAN to his former
agent, Wayne Knight, Jr.
Capt. Henry L’Hommedieu has made an unsuccessful search for his
sunken tug ANNA J. KIPP.
Robert Rogers’ tug, nearing completion will be renamed THOS. W.
ROGERS. She is 65’ long with a 17 x 20” engine.
Tug C. J. SAXE, so well-known around the Jersey City waterfront, has been
dismantled and broken up on the Harlem River.
Tug WALTER B. POLLOCK now carries F. Egerton’s colors.
June 6, 1907
Tug SENATOR RICE is under a five-month charter to Cornell.
Recent document transfers:
Tug A. A. SUMMER, Tidewater Oil Co. to Thomas Tracy.
Tug LYNDHURST, Atlantic Coast Lumber Corp. to J. H. McConnell.
Tug OLIN J. STEPHENS, ½ ownership, Frank Wixon to C. J. M. Christensen.
Chief Charles Gallagher and Capt. Fred Eyon [Ergon?] have purchased the
tug E. S. BOOTH and are operating her around the harbor.
June 13, 1907
Tug JOHN J. HAGUE, a new boat from up-river, is now owned by Tice Towing
Line of Jersey City.
F. B. Dalzell & Co. has changed the name of tug SAMUEL E. BOUKER to
Dalzell’s C. P. RAYMOND..
Name changes in May:
Tug GEORGE HUGHES, 177 gt, of NY, to HENRY STEERS.
Tug A. A. SUMMER, 119 gt, of NY, to NELLIE TRACY.
July 4, 1907
Cornell is repairing the NORWICH, and S. L. CROSBY.
July 25, 1907
Tug ANTHRACITE is under charter to Cornell. She is owned by George Morrell
of New York.
The hull for the engine of tug W. E. STREET, of the Cornell Line, is being
built at Shooter’s Island.
August 1, 1907
This is Cornell’s busiest season ever. Side-wheelers PITTSTON and
SILAS O. PIERCE were used from lay-up.
August 8, 1907
Tug ICE KING was run down and sunk by steamer POUGHKEEPSIE in the North
River Wednesday of last week. She was raised by Merritt-Chapman on Friday,
and taken to a Morse drydock.
August 22, 1907
Tug C. W. MORSE is a Fletcher’s. Her crew of 17 is under Capt. Gus
November 7, 1907
A Sunday morning fire damaged the tug JOHN H. CORDTS, and sank her in
Rondout Creek. The tug set fire to the Cornell coal elevator which was
storing 1500 tons of pea coal, destroying it.
The R. G. DAVIS of Cornell sank at her wharf at Newburgh last week.
December 5, 1907
Tug R. G. TOWNSEND helped the burning steamer VERONA to the shore.
December 19, 1907
The Cornell tug TRITON left here on friday for Newport News to overhaul.
She has been purchased by Twohy & Co. of Norfolk, and has been chartered
for three years by the U. S. Government for service in dredging operations
at Brunswick, Georgia.
January 2, 1908
130 gt steel tug building for Cornell Steamboat Co., by T. S. Marvel,
Newburgh, 95 x 23 x 11.5’ with an 18, 24 x 26” engine with
11.5 x 14’ boiler.
An un-named wooden tug building for Capt. Hawley Miller, New Baltimore,
by Wm. H. Baldwin of New Baltimore, 99 gt, 75 x 18.5 x 8 feet. Engine
16 x 20”, with a 13 x 7.1’ boiler. Machinery by Skinner &
New steamers between June 1 and Dec. 1, 1907:
N. R. RANDERSON, 63 gt, 67.5 x 18.7 x 8’. Built by Baldwin for Hawley
Miller of Albany.
WM. H. KEELER, 74 gt, 65.5 x 19 x 8’, built by Baldwin for Hawley
Miller, of Albany.
January 16, 1908
Tug WM. E. FERGUSON has been laid up for good and her place in the Mutual
Co. Line will be taken by the new tug JOHN J. TIMMINS.
January 30, 1908
Capt. Ed Lundberg has sold his interest in the tug C. W. STANDART to Capt.
February 20, 1908
Tug MICHAEL J. COFFEY was cut and sunk by ice at the foot of 15th Street,
Hoboken, on the night of the 10th instant.
March 5, 1908
F. A. Egerton’s tug WALTER B. POLLOCK..
March 12, 1908
The nondescript Cornell stakeboat ISAAC M. NORTH was at Tietjen &
Lang’s undergoing repairs.
March 19, 1908
Capt. Suffer has replaced the BAILEY with the Albany tug PHIL J. MILLER.
March 26, 1908
Tug BLUE STONE CO., of Capt. Paries’ fleet, is undergoing extensive
repairs at Pier 43, North River.
April 16, 1908
Indications are that Cornell will have a rival in brick barge towing on
the Hudson River from Catskill to New York this coming season –
Shamrock Towing Co. James J. McGuirl is said to have secured 5 and 10
year contracts from some of the largest brick yards. Shippers would take
stock in the line and thus more tugs would be purchased and added. About
a month ago Cornell notified shippers of new rates. McGuirl rates are
said to be lower and there is a tow running every night for all ports
between New York and Haverstraw. However, so far there is little demand
April 30, 1908
Capt. Arthur Habor has purchased the tug ARTHUR from W. E. Streeter.
Tug ANTHRACITE has been painted up in dark colors and carries a white
band with the letter “M” in the center of the stack.
May 14, 1908
Tug MICHAEL J. COFFEY, of Norbert Forst’s Line, was out on Smith’s
drydock for a new wheel and a general overhaul.
May 21, 1908
Cornell tug WILSON P. FOSS is engaged in handling ice barges.
May 29, 1908
Corporation papers were filed at Albany by Express Towing Co. of Long
Island City, for operating on the Hudson River. Capital: $10,000.
June 25, 1908
Tugs WM. E. FERGUSON and RONDOUT are laid up at the Erie Basin.
Aug. 6, 1908
Capt. John Brandow is steering the Templeton tug C. W. STANDART.
Aug. 13, 1908
Baltimore: PRINCESS is owned by James Clark Co.
Aug. 27, 1908
Tug DE VEAUX POWEL was on the Morse drydock at Brooklyn on the 20th having
a hawser removed from her wheel.
Sept. 10, 1908
The upper Hudson tugboat THOMAS CHUBB, owned by the Albany Towing Line,
which is controlled by the Cornell Steamboat Company, under the command
of Capt. Ulster Davis of Renssalaer, the manager of the line, took fire
on Wednesday afternoon of last week [Sept. 2nd], while steaming between
Troy and Albany, and burned to the water’s edge.
The small tug WOODBRIDGE, ex-GEORGIANNA, is employed for light towing
by the Lehigh Valley Co.
Sept. 24, 1908
Baltimore: James Clark’s tug IMPERIAL..
Oct. 1, 1908
Tug DE VEAUX POWEL struck the entrance to the gap in the Governor’s
Island extension on Friday and filled. She was partly submerged.
WM. E. FERGUSON left Erie Basin last week for a Staten Island yard for
a reported rebuilding.
Oct. 9, 1908
The hull of the tug WM. E. FERGUSON has been purchased by Gregory and
taken to his graveyard at Perth Amboy.
Oct. 29, 1908
Tugs ELI B. CONINE and DAVID B. DEARBORN were on the Hudson River on Sunday
with tows. Both bear the names of men active in steamboat affairs, the
former in the towing line, and the latter, a ship broker.
Nov. 12, 1908
Tug JAMES J. SWEENEY, formerly of Albany, was at the Griscom-Spencer Company’s
shops on Monday, waiting for orders. The SWEENEY is a small tug and is
in the service of Steers, the dock builders.
Dec. 24, 1908
Tug C. W. STANDART is held by the U. S. Marshal.
Dec. 31, 1908
Tug ANTHRACITE, which was run down and sunk by the railroad transfer steamer
MARYLAND, was out on Tregurthen’s docks for repairs.
An ad for F. J. Bauer lists tugs CHAS. J. DAVIS and WM. ORR.
January 7, 1909
Ocean tug MARY F. SCULLY went into commission two weeks ago. She is the
largest steel tug under the American flag. Built by Staten Island Shipbuilding
Co., at Port Richmond, NY, for Scully’s Towing & Transportation
Line for general towing along the coast. She is 180 x 30 x 19 feet with
a 17, 27, 45 x 36” engine.
Tug J. S. PACKARD, hull by A. C. Brown of Tottenville, finishing by Bertelson
& Peterson Engineering Co., of East Boston, engine 16, 34 x 26”,
for J. S. Packard Dredging Co., Providence, RI.
W. H. Baldwin is building a tug for Capt. Hawley Miller of Albany, 75
x 18 x 8 feet, engine 16 x 20”.
Vessels built between June 1, 1908 and December 1, 1908:
Tug E. D. HALEY, built by Geo. A. Gilchrist for Knickerbocker Steam Towage
Co., of Bangor.
Tug HENRY G. CREW, by Robert Palmer, Noank, for S. L’Hommedieu [White
Star T L]
Tugs KERBAUGH and SHANLEY, by and for T. S. Marvel, Newburgh. [really
for Stewart, Kerbaugh & Shanley Co. of NY City.
Tug SARAH E. McWILLIAMS for McWilliams.
Tug TIMOTHY D. SULLIVAN, by Wm. H. Baldwin for Hawley Miller.
Tug W. C. BAXTER by W. R. Osborn, Croton, NY, for C. W. Lodge, Watertown.
Tug W. H. CHILDS by H. C. Ellis for Coast Transit Co., of N Y City.
Tug WM. J. CONWAY by A. C. Brown, of Tottenville, for Wm. J. Conway.
Bouker Co’s BOUKER..
Barrett’s JOHN A. BOUKER and MARGARET A. LENOX..
Taylor Dredging Co’s WILLIAM H. TAYLOR..
Clyde Steamships’ CASTOR..
George L. Hammond’s EVELYN and W. A. FORMAN..
Dalzell’s DALZELLINE, H. B. MOORE, JR., and UNION..
Berwind-White’s EDWARD J. BERWIND..
Campbell & Stuarts’ JOHN CAMPBELL and WILLIAM DINSDALE..
Robert Rogers’ AUTOMATIC..
Tugs HIAWATHA, JOHN J. TIMMINS, NABBY C. [tug?], NEW YORK DOCK CO., THEODORE
B. JOHNSON, and WALTER B. POLLOCK...
Crescent Sand & Gravel Co’s WILKESBARRE..
Moran tugs EDWARD MORAN, EUGENE F. MORAN, and JULIA C. MORAN..
Cahill’s O. L. HALENBECK and R. J. MORAN..
Carroll Brothers’ SEVEN BROTHERS and STERLING..
Flannery’s EDDIE H. GARRISON, SARAH E. EASTON, THOS. A. QUIGLEY,
and W. H. FLANNERY..
Capt. Drew’s JAMES KAY..
Name changes in December:
WILKESBARRE, built at Solomons, Md., of New York, to CRESANCO.
FRANKLIN N. BROWN, built at Elizabethport, NJ, of New York, to MAY McGUIRL.
January 14, 1909
A U. S. auctioneer sold on January 7th all of Brown and Flemings Contracting
Co., including tug JOHN FLEMMING to Henry Steers, for $23,500.
Thames Towboat Co’s CORA L. STAPLES..
For sale during the week by U. S. Marshals: On the 9th tug OLIN J. STEPHENS.
On the 13th, tugs C. W. STANDART and JAMES A. HUSTED.
January 21, 1909
Tugs sold by the U. S. Marshal’s: On the 9th tug OLIN J. STEPHENS
was sold to Capt. James Sims for $550. On the 13th, tugs C. W. STANDART
and JAMES A. HUSTED were sold to Gregory & McElroy for $1125 and $205
Egerton’s tug HIAWATHA..
Hughes tugs ASA W. HUGHES and JOHN F. LEWIS..
January 28, 1909
Shortland’s tug JAMES WATT, built at Chester, Pa., in 1873, is in
February 4, 1909
Tug JOHN J. TIMMINS owned by the Mutual Co., built by Palmer at Noank,
has an engine 16, 32 x 24”. Was employed by the Revenue Cutter Service
for a time. Has an average speed of 16 knots. Mutual also has tug MUTUAL.
Red Cross tug ADELAIDE..
February 11, 1909
Tug FRANCIS B. HACKETT, built by Johnston Bros., for Hackett Towing &
Wrecking Co., of Amherstburg, Ontario. Has a 20, 40 x 30” engine.
Tug COLUMBIA, formerly E. J. CODD, is in the service of the Columbia Dredging
New tug ALBATROSS of P. Dougherty’s Baltimore fleet of coastal tugs
was at Pier 7, East River, awaiting orders.
February 18, 1909
Gallagher Brothers’ tug JAMES A. LAWRENCE is being rebuilt. [Apparently]
bought by them in December, will probably be renamed.
Small tug WAUWATOSA of the Erie Railroad is on drydock.
Philadelphia & Reading Railroad’s tugs ASHBOURNE and WYOMISSING
haul up at Jersey City when off duty. With tug BERN, they tow coal boats
between Port Reading and Jersey City.
February 25, 1909
Tugs KERBAUGH and SHANLEY were built by T. S. Marvel for the Stewart,
Kerbaugh & Shanley Co., of New York City. Built of wood [?], 45’10”
x 14’ x 5’6”, draft 4’6”, with 12 x 14”
engines of 80 ihp. [pictures and outboard profile shown].
Central RR of New Jersey’s tug FREEHOLD..
Tug URBANUS DART caught fire off Romer Shoal on the 22nd, was beached
on Sandy Hook, and later turned turtle. Built in Brunswick, Ga., in 1889
and owned by Capt. John Gully of Brooklyn, she was probably a total loss.
Lackawanna RR’s tug UTICA..
Tug RESCUE, owned by William Flagg, sank at Pier 6, East River, on the
20th while towing a barge. [Later refloated].
M. Moran’s ARTHUR W. PALMER [chartered?]..
Tug JAMES A. GARFIELD sank at the foot of 26th Street, Brooklyn.
March 11, 1909
Tug CHARLES GALLAGHER, rebuilt out of JAMES A. LAWRENCE, is towing sand
scows for her owners Gallagher Brothers.
The White Star Towing Line, Newtown Creek Division, is reported having
been absorbed by Newtown Creek Towing Co.
Lehigh Valley RR tug LUZERNE..
March 18, 1909
Stanwood Towing & Transportation Co. have the new boats CONWAY and
Phoenix Transportation Co. has tugs CHARLES R. STONE, PHOENIX and VOLUNTEER.
Tug AMERICAN which has been laid up here for some 2 or more years, has
been sold to A. & R. Logies, to dredge in New Brunswick.
March 25, 1909
EDNA B. KING has been purchased by Newark parties.
Dailey’s tugs MATTIE and WILLIAM J. DAILEY..
April 8, 1909
Shamrock Towing Line’s HEWITT BOICE..
Daniel McElroy’s C. W. STANDART..
New tug MARY McGUIRL was recently completed for Patrick McGuirl of the
Shamrock Towing Line..
Erie RR tug ORADELL..
Red Star Towing’s new tug NORWALK..
April 22, 1909
Tug SLATINGTON of the Lehigh Valley RR, sank at the foot of Coffey Street,
Brooklyn, on the 7th.
Old Dominion Steamship Co’s tug KATHRYN..
April 29, 1909
Lehigh Valley RR’s tug NANUET..
May 6, 1909
Tug WILKESBARRE, now owned by Lyndon R. Connett, has had her name changed
Lackawanna RR tug SCRANTON..
May 13, 1909
Lackawanna RR’s tug TITAN has had her name changed to CORTLAND.
Tug GEORGE HILL, owned and run by Capt. D. J. Morell & Chief Joseph
B. Mason, is engaged in towing for King Plaster Mills.
Capt. Joe Marshall has laid his tug BROOKLYN up on Wallabout Creek.
Tug WILLIAM N. BEACH of Byer’s Line..
Tug QUEEN MAB is towing out of Cows Bay, Long Island, for Goodwin Sand
& Gravel Co.
Tug JOHN FLEMING has had her name changed to J. RICH STEERS.
Dailey’s tugs BELLE and JOHN D. DAILEY..
May 20, 1909
Egerton’s tugs HIAWATHA and WALTER B. POLLOCK..
May 27, 1909
Robert Rogers’Towing Co’s MARIA HOFFMAN..
June 3, 1909
Mutual Co. has purchased GEO. H. ALLEN, JR. and will rename her THOMAS
Manhattan Navigation Co., a new freight line to operate between New York,
Albany, and Troy, has tug INTERBOROUGH..
New England Transportation Co’s tug A. M. SMITH..
McAllister’s D. F. SKINNER..
June 10, 1909
Hudson Tow Boat’s IRVING G. KELLER, and W. F. COGAN..
Columbia Dredging Co’s tug SALUTATION..
John E. Moore’s towing fleet consists of tugs EDNA, GEORGE K. KIRKHAM,
JOHN NICHOLS, and LEWIS PULVER. They also have steamers GENERAL PUTNAM,
GEORGE STARR, THOMAS C. MILLARD, and WILLIAM FLETCHER. Officers of the
firm are E. M. Millard, manager, John Nichols, superintendent, and J.
F. Emmons, secretary.
Brunswick Steamship Co’s tug TIMOTHY D. SULLIVAN now hails from
Ward Line’s tug NAUTILUS is laid up.
Lehigh Valley RR’s NESHANIC [freight boat?]
June 17, 1909
Tug VALIANT sank at Bush Docks on the night of the 8th. [later raised
Tug C. GALLAGHER is owned by the Gallagher Bros.
McAllister Steamboat Co. has purchased the majority of the Starin fleet.
[does not include Starin tugs, if any]
Newtown Creek Towing’s TRIUMPH..
Tug JOHN T. PRATT was purchased by Capt. Ed Finley from the Snare &
Triest Co. Chartered to Columbia Dredging Co. and will be employed on
the Passaic River.
January 20, 1910
The steamers E. C. BAKER, KNICKERBOCKER, OSCEOLA, PAUL LE ROUX, and POCAHONTAS
have broken wheels above Albany.
January 27. 1910
Cornell tugs JOHN T. WELCH, PRIMROSE, ROBERT A. SCOTT, and S. L. CROSBY
were at the Fletcher yard on Sunday.
April 14, 1910
Murray Barge Line owns the tug ED. F. MURRAY.
April 28. 1910
Tug D. F. SKINNER, which sank in Newtown Creek, was raised during the
July 21, 1910
Tug D. F. SKINNER took fire near Execution Rock at 7 a.m. on the 13th
and was beached at Hart’s Point, where she burned to the water.
The small but strongly built tug ULSTER DAVIS, owned by Capt. R. G. Davis,
is hauled up at Morse’s yard awaiting business. She is 55 x 16 x
6’ with a 12 x 15” engine.
July 28, 1910
Tug RONDOUT is laid up awaiting a purchaser at Sullivam’s Basin.
November 25, 1910
J. H. RANDERSON is in for repairs.
Advertisement for Harlem River Towboat Line as agents for: tugs HARLEM
RIVER, HARLEM RIVER NO. 1, 2 and 3.
December 25, 1910
The Cornell tug WM. E. CLEARY was forced on Nigger Head, Hell Gate, on
the afternoon of the 10th.
January 8, 1913
Tice Towing Co. has changed the name of the rebuilt tug ANTHRACITE to
May 14, 1913
Tug RALPH ROSS is laid up awaiting a new boiler being built by P. Delaney
& Co. of Newburgh. She will be ready for service about the 1st prox.
July 9, 1913
One of the largest transactions in recent years is now pending between
the Cornell Steamboat Co., of Rondout, and the American Ice Co., involving
the purchase by the towing company of the entire fleet of tugs of the
ice company, said the Kingston (NY) LEADER of June 24. Whilke the formalities
have not yet been completed, it is understood that the deal has practically
been completed and several of the tugs have already been delivered to
the Cornell Steamboat Company and are now tied up at the Cornell shop’s
dock in Rondout Creek. The remainder of the fleet will probably be turned
over to the Cornell Steamboat Co. in the next few days. For the past few
years, the American Ice Co. has been doing its own towing, but with the
selling of its’ fleet of tugs, it is likely that its’ work
will be done in the future by the Cornell Steamboat Co.
[combed through several issues looking for a list of tugs included with
August 27, 1913
Tug J. H. WILLIAMS sprung a leak and sank on the 14th at 136th Street,
January 7, 1914
Tug ICE KING was driven ashore at Sandy Hook on Christmas night and totally
A most daring act of piracy on Christmas night. Five men boarded tug JAMES
BRADLEY, tied up to a N. Y. Central carfloat at the Hamburg-American Line
dock at Hoboken, raised steam, and took the boat out in the howling storm.
The tug was left drifting.
Daniel McAllister bought White Star Towing Line’s SUMMIT.
January 14, 1914
W. J. Conway purchased LIZZIE D. at Philadelphia on the 2nd. She was built
in Philadelphia in 1907.
John Williams sold his tug ALICE to Harry Williamson of Hoboken.
Tug HAPPY, rebuilt out of tug TOM & JOE, is the latest addition to
Norbert Forst’s fleet.
January 21, 1914
Tug WALTER TRACY filled and sank at Pier 31, Brooklyn, on the 11th.
Ferry SUFFERN ran down tug ROBERT WHITE on the 14th. She had her pilot-house
and deck house badly wrecked.
Capt. Frank A. Rinschler’s tug JUNIATA is engaged in harbor, sea
and Sound towing.
Baltimore tug ADVANCE is under contract to a company dredging at New Haven.
January 28, 1914
ANNA J. BROOKS, JOSEPH C. REICHERT [or J. C. ?], ROSE REICHERT, SAMUEL
Tug COL. J. F. GAYNOR, libelled by Theo. A. Crane’s Sons Co., was
sold by the U. S. Marshal on the 21st. She was bought by mortgages of
the Seaboard Dredging & Improvement Co.
Shamrock Towing Line have had their tug HEWITT BOICE rebuilt at the Weehawken
Dry Dock Co. and have changed the name to ELIZABETH T. McGUIRL.
February 4, 1914
Tug B. T. HAVILAND, laid up at Erie Basin for some months, left for Boston
on the 23rd.
Notice of Dissolution: White Star Towing & Transportation Line: On
this day Samuel L’Hommedieu has withdrawn from the business of the
White Star Towing & Transportation Line, 70 South Street, the business
being continued by Henry Crew.
Central RR of NJ’s RED ASH..
February 11, 1914
At Sullivan’s Basin: Lake-built tug FRANK PERRY, Tugs BLUE STONE,
C. W. REED, CHARLES W. RUSSELL, CHIEF, CROTON, DEFIANCE, EASYCHESTER,
FLUSHING, JAMES J. LOGAN, McCALDIN BROS., MAY, MILBURN, RONDOUT, STAMFORD,
THOMAS A. QUIGLEY, W. J. LOTTA and WM. REINHART, and steam lighter JAMES
The small tug PETER DAHL of Tonawanda is also there. She was sold recently
to Mr. Follett in the canal trade for $2100.
Tug H. A. BAXTER carries the initials of Coastwise Dredging Co. on her
stack. Coastwise dredge NO. 9 and tug ADELAIDE are laid up at Crane’s
HENRY LEE, W. B. KEENE…
Three barges in tow of tug ANNIE L. broke away in a gale on 1/31 and went
ashore at Stamford.
May 10, 1917
New Incorporators: McAllister Brothers, Inc., general shipowners business.
$2,000. James P. McAllister, John E. McAllister, both of Brooklyn, and
D. C. Chase, of South Amboy.
June 14, 1917
Tug FRED B. DAlZELL was recently sold by Dalzell Towing Co. to Baker-Whiteley
Coal Co. She was built in 1914, 92’ x 24’8” x 10’8”
molded depth. 159 gross tons, 600 hp.
Notes from other sources such as N Y Maritime Reporter:
July 20, 1910
Norfolk, 7/15: U. S. Court of Appeals has ordered the resale of tug JACK
TWOHY, which was libelled due to a collision with a lighthouse last December.
[Actually, collision was between sailing vessel being towed on hawser,
the hawser, and the lighthouse.]
August 24, 1910
Delaware Breakwater, 8/18: Tug WALTHAM lost a barge 8 miles SSE of Cape
February 22, 1911
New London, Ct, 2/15: Tug CONCORD, with tow, fouled and virtually wrecked
Bartlett’s Reef Lightship last night.
March 29, 1911
Vineyard Haven, March 24: Barge STONINGTON, in tow of tug DANIEL WILLARD,
sank early today in 12 fathoms of
© 2007. Tugboat Enthusiasts Society
of the Americas